Music Mixing Pot

Music Mixing Pot

Does music connect people?

4
Music Mixing Pot
Kathryn Lee

Music. What is music? It’s most commonly known to have at least a couple instruments playing and a vocalist or vocalists. As everyone knows, there’s more than one style.The most commonly known are Rock, R&B, Rap, Metal, Classical, Pop, Pop Rock, Jazz, Electronic, Dance, and Country.

The classifications of these are often arbitrary, and closely related forms often overlap. These are the larger genres and styles of music and, more often than not, have smaller sub-genres within them, as well as bands, which is a different part entirely. However, ultimately, within all of this music, there is a way to connect people.

We perceive emotions through music; whether it be anger, sadness, happiness, depression, etc. This is known as “aesthetic emotions”, which is defined as “emotional states that are induced by exposure to art and nature” (Konečni). Some listen to music for emotional support when they feel like that’s all they have. Others have music as a way to project their voice. Some even give music all they have cause it’s what they love. Emotions live through music.

Every single lyric in a song has a meaning and the artist wrote it, set chords to it, and produced it for a reason. They want others to hear what they’re going through, and they want people to connect with them. They want to help others with what they’re going through.

In the music globe, you’re never alone. In connecting yourself with music, you can find yourself connecting with others, even the artist themselves. They all have their own stories to tell. I, even, have a few of my own. I’ve met most of my friends through music.

A dear friend of mine, Maddy Lewis, and I started a Youtube channel together after I asked her to help me put some chords to a song I wrote. At the time, I didn’t know how to play the Ukulele or Guitar. But now I do, and we continue to originals and covers of songs.

Jennifer Robinson and I first just worked buddies. We only talked because we knew it’d be awkward if we didn’t, yet we didn’t really want to get to know one another. One day, though, ‘Story of my Life’ by One Direction came on the radio and we both started singing it. Our friendship sort of blossomed from there and that didn’t take much after we both realized we love One Direction.

I had the pleasure to ask people I know, and people I don’t know, if they think music connects people. Honestly, I was shocked with my results--one hundred percent, whole-hearted ‘yes’s. I reached out to people through social media, Pinterest mostly, and in person as well. All of those who answered the questioned, who I am grateful for helping me to look further into this question, went on to explain why.

“We bonded over a mutual liking of 5SOS that then turned into other mutual interests. I mean I know we haven’t met in person, but we all have gotten close enough that we help each other with things we tell people right next to us.” -Dana Tenorio

“During worship, in Germany, I was encouraged to sing along, in my own language, and standing before the congregation, singing with them, knowing that everyone was saying the same thing, and singing it to the same person, was one of the most powerful moments I’ve ever experienced.” -Maddy Lewis
“My younger brother and I stay up all night listening to different styles of music and it’s really made us close and brought us together.” -Maggie Dressler
“A lot of my friends in high school were because of Orchestra. When I met Hallie, Kelsey, and Kylie, I bonded with Kylie over music. She loved One Direction at the time. Then when I met you, it was all because of 1D and 5SOS.” -Jennifer Robinson
“Just thinking about this now and really most of my friends all dig the same taste in music as I have.” -Jeremy Lee

Let the riots begin where the music starts. There will never be an end to music, and that’s what’s so beautiful about it. Music is a powerful object. It may just be a bunch of noise and nonsense to a few, but to many, it’s not.