Music Is More Than A Tune

Music Is More Than A Tune

"Music can change the world because it can change people." -Bono

11
Music Is More Than A Tune
Google

For as long as I can remember, I've always been around music. My parents have always been obsessive with music, but when I was younger, I never knew why. My parents always loved to go to concerts, and trust me, there are plenty they have been to. Together, they always listened to music whenever the chance was available. Every road trip or journey we took, you would hear the radio blasting some song while my parents sang their hearts out. Music was always in my environment, I just never understood the meaning of it and why it was so important to my parents. Now, don't get me wrong. I liked music for what it was. I liked the beat and I liked how any song could turn a bad day good. But, I couldn't grasp the concept on why my parents loved this lyrical and instrumental combined rhythms and why they couldn't live without it.

When I was younger, I never really thoroughly enjoyed the music my parents listened to. Of course, I knew the songs by heart because they were constantly playing, but I could have lived without them, at the time. My parents music range went from Rock legends like Motley Crue to Pop artists like Justin Timberlake. I enjoyed musicians like Hannah Montana, and bands like The Jonas Brothers and even The Naked Brothers Band. I wasn’t really the “musicality kid” that my parents wanted or what seemed like they wanted. I once asked why people love music so much. And the response I received was "Because music makes you feel something more than just a plain emotion. It’s something that you can sway back and forth to, or it’s something you can cry to. You’ll understand when you get older." Every time I thought of that response, the only thing I could think was "I will never understand." But little did I know, that thought would completely change.

I am now 17 years old, and music has changed my life more than words can ever describe. After several heartbreaks, not just from boys, (Because friends can break your heart too), after deaths and tragic events, music seemed to be the only thing that made life better. After every bad day, I could go go plug up my iPod (Or now iPhone) and that bad day turned better. It was something so surreal. It's crazy how someone who doesn't even know you, can sing words that describe you from head to toe. It's crazy how a band, who barely knows you exist, can make like worth living. Life is filled with so many ugly and evil things. But music, is such a beautiful thing and sometimes can turn something from being so ugly to something so beautiful. The fact that music has power just like that, is incredibly outstanding.

I have met so many bands, musicians, who have all changed my life for the better. I have created memories from all the concerts I go to. I've been able to travel out of state to go see my favorite bands, and see places I never thought I would go. And I've created friendships that will last a lifetime, because of one simple little musical rhythm, because of one simple band or musician.

I now get why my parents can't live without the music. I now get that response I was told when I was 8 years old, it all makes sense now. My outlook on music is completely different from what it was when I was a kid, and here's what it is.

Music is more powerful than almost anything in this world. It has the power to bring two people together and allow them to bond over it. It has the power to let musicians express themselves or their emotions through lyrics and instrumental rhythms (good or bad) and maybe you feel it too. It has the power to turn a bad day into a great day. It has the power to give you answers to things that you just don't know.

Music is so much more than a tune for your ears, or words on a single piece of paper. Music has the ability just to save if not one, but millions of lives. Rhythmically, instrumentally, and lyrically, music has the potential to string together a broken heart. Music is the emotion fired in my soul and the goosebumps trailing up and down my spine. Music is the words a timorous soul is too scared to say. Music is the thoughts that someone can’t scarcely put to words. Music is the story that words can't tell. There is no limit to what music can do for you.

There are so much more words I could say about music, but instead, I'll leave you hanging on six words.

Music is more than a Tune.