Singers Who Died

10 Music Artists' Deaths We Will Never Get Over

Even after death, their music touches our hearts.

113
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Mac_Miller_(21)_%E2%80%93_splash!_Festival_20_(2017).jpg

These musicians were taken from us a bit too soon, but not before they changed our worlds.

1. Selena Quintanilla-Pérez.

Selena Quintanilla Live

The worst part about Selena's death is that she was murdered. Her death was caused by a gunshot wound inflicted to her by family friend and fan club manager Yolanda Saldívar. Selena was 23. What made her really special is that she bridged the gap between Latin mainstream music and American mainstream music. Selena y Los Dinos rose to prominence among Latin music in the late 80s. They shot out countless hits: "Como La Flor", "Bidi Bidi Bom Bom" and "Amor Prohibido." Her English-Spanish crossover "Dreaming of You", and last studio album, debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard in 1995.

It was one of the best-selling debuts of that year. It's so tragic because Selena was just getting started. "Dreaming of You" was said to be her serious breakout album as she moved onto the US charts. Her legacy lives on in music today. Selena is considered the "Queen of Tejano Music". Known for her beautiful voice, iconic fashion, and lively dancing. She paved the way for so many Latin American artists of today. And so many artists period! Even 23 years later, we can't help but think of her passing and cry.

2. Mac Miller.

Mac Miller's sudden death in September of this year left the entire world shook. He passed at the age of 26 of a drug overdose. Though Mac struggle with drug addiction for much of his career, he still made an incredible impact. His 2011 debut album "Blue Slide Park" peaked at No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 200. He went on to release four more studio albums; three of which peaked in the top 5 of Billboard Hot 200. Mac was known for bringing extreme musicality to Hip Hop music. He played multiple instruments and had a heavy hand in the production of his work. Mac's final two albums "The Divine Feminine" and "Swimming" met positive reviews. "Swimming" talked much about his addiction and mental state. A tour was scheduled for the album but cancelled after his death.

3. Whitney Houston. 

It can be argued that Whitney Houston is one of the greatest vocalist to exist in music. She was also known for her battle with drug addiction throughout the late 90s and early 2000s. This would lead to her 2012 death at age 48. Being the daughter of Gospel sensation Cissy Houston and cousin of Dionne Warwick, she was destined for musical greatness. And greatness is what we got. Her 1985 self-titled debut and 1987 sophomore album "Whitney", both peaked at No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 200. They are also two of the best-selling albums of all time. She is the only artist to have her first seven singles top the Billboard Hot 100.

The soundtrack to her film debut movie "The Bodyguard" is the best-selling motion picture soundtrack of all time. And, her cover of "I Will Always Love You'' for the movie soundtrack is the best-selling single by a woman in music history. Whitney is known as "The Voice". Her sound and singing style set the standard for vocalist behind her. Whitney was adored for her versatility, power, and raw talent. There was no song too big and no melody too complex. To this day, the world has not encountered a voice as incredible.

4. Kurt Cobain.

Kurt Cobain changed our lives as the front man of "Nirvana." His death at 27 was credited to a gunshot wound and ruled a suicide although many theories challenge this. Nirvana from in 1987 releasing their first album "Bleach" in '89. They didn't achieve mainstream success until the release of their single "Smells Like Teen Spirit" from their second album, "Nevermind." The song became so popular, Cobain himself stated growing resentment towards it for overshadowing their other works.

Nirvana is credited as the "Spokesperson of Generation X". So many people related to their music. It was youth and angst in all the right ways. They brought a new culture to music that was never seen before. Since, Cobain's death, Nirvana has still received much acclaim, "Nevermind" is ranked within Rolling Stone's Top 500 albums of all Time. Cobain is remembered as one of the most influential names in Alternative Rock history.

5. Aaliyah.

This is another death that just cuts you right to the core!! Aaliyah, known as The Princess of R&B, died in a plane crash in 2001. She was only 22. Her debut album "Age Ain't Nothing But A Number" had released only seven years prior; selling over 3 million copies at the time and reaching certified gold. Her two following albums "One In A Million" and "Aaliyah" both reached top 20 on the Billboard Hot 200. The latter giving us some of her biggest hits to date "Are You That Somebody", "Try Again" and "Rock The Boat". Before her death, Aaliyah had been branching her career out to music. She'd starred in "Romeo Must Die" alongside Jet Li in 2000 and had just finished "Queen of the Damned" in 2001. Aaliyah is credited for pushing the young Hip-Hop scene forward. Many admire her for her use of futuristic sounds and production before it's time. She brought the urban sound to mainstream music and influenced countless R&B/Pop singers to date.

6. Michael Jackson.

Where would music be without Michael Jackson. This guy was literally molded to be a musician. His four decade career began at the ripe age of six with his brothers and their group The Jackson 5. It ended when Michael was found dead of cardiac arrest at age 50. Michael was a music prodigy. From day one we knew he'd be a huge star. He could sing, he could dance, he brought so much charisma to each performance. As a group, they scored 16 top 40 hit singles. They were a staple in early R&B music and Motown Records history. Known for early hits like "I Want You Back" and "Where You Are" and later hits, as The Jacksons, like "Blame It On The Boogie."

Michael didn't go solo until 1971, releasing his debut album "Got to Be There" in 1972. In the 80s, he became notorious for his music videos: "Billie Jean", "Thriller" and "Ghost" broke barriers and pushed forward the use of video for musical production. Michael was also known for being all kinds of extra. So these videos weren't just videos; they were full out short films lasting as long as thirty minutes. Michael has too many accolades to list: "Thriller" is the best-selling album in music history, he's got 14 Billboard No. 1 hits as a solo artist, he has like a million signature dance moves. And he's been named "The King of Pop." Michael is argued as the greatest entertainer to ever live. He's such a pillar in the music industry.

7. Freddie Mercury.

Freddie Mercury changed the face of music as lead singer of legendary rock band "Queen." He died of AIDS at age 45 but not before giving the world some of it's most iconic music. Mercury was known for really pushing the envelope. He was an all around entertainer; writing, arranging, singing, and staging his music! He was known for his colossal vocal range and over the top performance persona. His death in 1991 skyrocketed the band's album sales and left the world with a music legacy impossible to forget. Queen, as a band, is one of the best known music groups of all time. They helped popularize music videos in the early 80s with "Bohemian Rhapsody." They are one of the world's best-selling musical acts, giving us countless hits: "We Will Rock You", "Somebody to Love." Mercury also paved the way for more flamboyant, gender non-conforming, and LGBTQ artists to come.

8. Bob Marley 

Even if you're not big on Reggae, Bob Marley is a name you've heard. He is known for being a musical and cultural icon; helping popularize and shape Reggae music worldwide. All of this was done before his death from cancer at age 36. He rose to prominence in the early 60s at the lead singer of the band "The Wailers." The band produced many hits such as: "One Love", "Soul Captives", and "Stir It Up". After the heavy success of their album "Exodus", Marley relocated to the UK and pursued a solo career in 1977. The album was honored by Time Magazine in 1999 as "Album of the Century. "For the remainder of this career, Marley shot out endless classics: "Is This Love", "Three Little Birds", and "Satisfy My Soul." He is one of the best-selling artists of all time; being ranked 11th on Rolling Stone's "100 Greatest Artists of All Time." His music was known for it's themes of peace, love, and challenging the stigma of marijuana usage. Even years after his death, he is a highly influential musical figure, not just in Reggae, but Pop, Hip-Hop, and R&B.

9. John Lennon.

John Lennon, most commonly known for his work with "The Beatles", revolutionized music today. The Beatles, are still the best-selling musical act in history. Together, they have twenty Billboard No. 1 Hits. And their album sales exceed 800 million physical and digital copies. This isn't even including Lennon's solo work! His music career spans about 20 years but was cut short when her was shot dead in 1980 at age 40. The Beatles formed in 1960, Lennon being one of the founding members. The group was ridiculously successful. Only together for ten years, the group changed the face of mainstream and Rock and Roll music.

They really became known for their musical experimentation, incorporating different sounds and recording styles: such as playing recordings in reverse, utilizing accidental guitar feedback, and other unique natural sounds. The group even stopped touring in 1966 and maintained their success! They have too many hits to think of "Love Me Do", "A Hard Day's Night" "I Want To Hold Your Hand", "Hey Jude", "Let It Be." Lennon, himself achieved even more success as a solo artist. Some of his signature hits include: "Imagine" and "Give Peace A Chance." Lennon carried the theme of peace and unity throughout his music. This message resonates through his music even today.

10. The Notorious B.I.G. 

Biggie's rise to fame is such an inspiring story. Only releasing two albums "Ready To Die" and "Life After Death" due to his assassination in 1997, many consider him one of the greatest rappers of all time. He was 24. Although there is much controversy and violence surrounding Biggie's career, his music gave a positive message about black success. Much of his music discussed how he rose to wealth from the streets of Brooklyn. He's revered for his way of telling stories throughout his songs: "Hypnotize", "Juicy", "Dreams." This style of rapping, that many referred to as "reality rapping" resonated with audiences then and now. Since his death, many posthumous albums have come out in his honor. He's also been sampled and quoted by countless musical artists today. Showing that his music lives on and he will not soon be forgotten.

The beautiful thing about music is that it lives on forever. Although we may have lost these artists, their work keeps them with us forever. We're so happy that they shared it with us.