Music as Art

Music as Art

How music goes beyond what we experience at the surface

17386
Music as Art
Play Buzz

Whether entertaining us on walks to class, filling the room with life at parties, or acting as background noise, music is an art form that we interact with on a daily basis. Music has the ability to intrigue and to transport audiences to different worlds and subject matters. Immersing yourself into rhythm and losing yourself in the beauty of a song are only a few of the infinite possibilities that music not only encompasses, but provides for audiences.

Music is a unique art form. It is a lyrical and auditory representation of story. Through patterned constructions of words, rhythm, and instrumental collaboration, music provides listeners with insight to personal experiences and even in-depth interpretations of the world around us. No one song is the same and musical talent is presented in a multitude of forms. Inclinations for music can be displayed in voice, guitar, saxophone, written lyrics, composition and so much more. These elements of music are admirable both individually and jointly. They do not work in isolation, but rather they work collaboratively to create a holistic music experience that conveys a message implicitly and in creative ways. A guitar riff can imply tone, while vocal range can convey a multitude of emotions. This ability to not only entertain audiences, but to tell a story and sculpt a message makes music one of the most powerful forms of art.

The variety of bands and musical artists present in the world today is beyond vast. They range from U2 and Stevie Wonder to Kanye West and Lady Gaga. Each of these artists offers something very different, but they are connected through their creativity and passion for the art. Artists use music as an extension of themselves and the emotions they inhabit. Music representing an extension of self simply means that music has the ability to take the form of something larger than itself. Musical composition brings to life emotion, curiosity, and insight to personal depths. It transcends the limits of expression and provides a piece of art that is unique to each individual that interacts with it.

One of the most important qualities that makes music such a special art form is the various ways in which it can be consumed. Audiences can take in music as live performances, in the comfort of their own homes, mediated through multiple forms of technology or devices, and with company or in isolation. The ways in which to experience music seem almost infinite, but music is molded by the ways in which we experience it. Music can provide an outlet for stress, a channel to celebrate, or a way to bond with others. Music puts us in communication with those around us, allowing the music to be discussed, shared, and further developed by human interaction. Because the themes constructed in music are discussed and widespread, the songs, along with the meanings they possess, will carry on long past their time. Good songs are timeless, something people of all generations can enjoy and connect with. It links people, generations, history, and meanings to each other in a way that cannot accurately be represented by words.

Among the many other art forms, music proves to be one of the most prominent because of its ability to take the shape of a multitude of different things. Whether a certain song or musician represents a memory, an emotion, a significant life event, or even just a certain mood, music as an art allocates us with the opportunity to feel and express in a more complex and valuable way.