A Playlist From The iPod Of A Middle Schooler

I went to private school my whole life, so my elementary school experience was a kindergarten through 8th-grade school. I decided to take a look at my playlists from the end of my middle school experience: all the way up to 2013. Also the year I entered high school! I was listening to these tracks from my new iPhone and probably my iPod Touch.

During this time period, I had less than 30 classmates that barely knew the music I was listening to. There were some songs I caved into liking, a guilty pleasure, but overall I was listening to a lot of music my parents showed me or new alternative rock bands I was so excited to discover! During this time period, my favorite bands consisted of Foster the People, The Killers, Coldplay, The Black Keys and more!

The Black Keys - Tighten Up [Official Music Video]

I remember hearing this song for the first time. I got so excited about this band and have wanted to see them ever since! This year, 2020, I will finally get the chance to; a couple of days after my 21st birthday.

Keane - Somewhere Only We Know (Official Video)

The Kooks - Naive

The Cure - Mint Car [1996]

This song has always been nostalgic for me. I grew up to this song and have loved The Cure for as long as I can remember. I remember driving to school to this song in my dad's car when I was a little girl.

The Strokes - You Only Live Once (Official Music Video)

The Neighbourhood - Sweater Weather (Video)

Foster The People - Pumped up Kicks (Official Music Video)

Hearing this song for the first time changed my life. This was the first band I discovered on my own and in their early years. I remember hearing "Pumped Up Kicks" when it was one of their only singles out and getting so excited for their album release.

I listened to this song on repeat and made sure to soak up the radio time it had! I was so excited when my parents surprised me with tickets to their concert in Berkeley, California at The Greek Theatre!

Maroon 5 - This Love (Closed Captioned)

Arctic Monkeys - Fluorescent Adolescent (Official Video)

Jonas Brothers - Burnin' Up (Official Music Video)

One band I was obsessed with that definitely revealed my age was the Jonas Brothers. I saw them 3 times and was a dedicated fan!

TWO DOOR CINEMA CLUB | WHAT YOU KNOW

Passion Pit - Take a Walk (Official Video)

Coldplay - Paradise (Official Video)

Coldplay was one of my first favorite bands! I had the chance to see them when I was in high school, and when I think of what I listened to in my youth, they are definitely at the top of the list. I still remember hearing this song for the first time, and seeing the music video at a school dance.

OneRepublic - Secrets (Official Music Video)

Grouplove - Tongue Tied [OFFICIAL VIDEO]

Imagine Dragons - It's Time

Imagine Dragons are my "I saw them before they were big!" band. I saw Imagine Dragons in 2012 for the Bay Area's Not So Silent Night. The lineup went (from headliner to opener): The Killers, M83, Passion Pit, Tegan and Sara, Grouplove and Imagine Dragons.

Yes, you read that right! Imagine Dragons was the very first band! It is crazy to think about now.

Phoenix "1901" -- Bonnaroo 2010 | Bonnaroo365

M83 'Midnight City' Official video

The Killers - Mr. Brightside (Official Music Video)

The Killers were also another one of my first favorite bands! I remember getting so mad at my dad for seeing them live in Vegas when I was around 8 years old! There was no I could even get in since it was 21 and over. I still have the Sam's Town shirt he got me from that show, and I've seen the band three times since then. I was also fortunate enough to meet them too!

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Under The Bridge [Official Music Video]

Weezer - Island In The Sun (Official Music Video)

The Rolling Stones - You Can't Always Get What You Want

The worst part about liking older bands when you're younger is no one believes you! I remember people being shocked I liked bands like The Rolling Stones and trying to test my knowledge.

I've always been a proud fan and this has to be my favorite song!

MGMT - Electric Feel (Official Video)

David Bowie - Heroes (Official Video)

The 1975 - Sex [EP Version]

This band, just like Foster the People, was another game changer for me. I've seen The 1975 five times and have met them! It was another instant love for a band, and I still jam to this song to this day.