How Music Affected Me

How Music Affected Me

Because it is a reflection of everything I've never said.

319
How Music Affected Me

"Music speaks what cannot be expressed, soothes the mind and gives it rest, heals the heart and makes it whole, flows from heaven to the soul."

It would not be far-fetched to say that I think music is one of the most powerful and strongest forces on this planet. There are so many unique and diverse qualities that make up the basis of music. It is borderless and allows the spin of different cultures and languages to converge into one setting of something so beautiful. Whether it's instrumental, rock, acoustic, jazz, rap, hip-hop, or pop, each individual person forms ideas and personal connections to whatever genre he or she falls in love with. Each experience can be powerful, connecting, and inspiring, yet so different for each person. Around the world everywhere, the language of music and what it brings remains all the same to us. Some songs may differ in instruments, timing, rhythms, and tones, but the notes can be created anyway—that is so beautiful to me. Not only does music allow so many options as individuals, but creates a sense of togetherness and community - an equal place.

For all of my life, if I do not remember much, I do remember the constant exposure to music. Music has taught me about different cultures, religions, and languages. Music has such a special way about bringing together the most different, diverse people and has allowed us to break down the borders that sometimes separate us. It has allowed me to meet new people who share my same passions who I never would have had the chance to meet if it were not for music. I have been able to create lasting friendships and relationships solely based on the impression of music and what it can do for your life. Despite different beliefs, languages, and barriers, we as people, have found a way to forget about all of that even if for a moment.

In my own personal experience, I found my love for music (luckily) at a younger age and I have been drowning in every way it can possibly consume someone ever since. Although I am not the most talented, music shifts me in a way that is indescribable and like nothing else compares to. Music has linked me into emotional levels I did not know existed in me. It has helped me heal as a person, focus on the smaller things like a sweet and simple song, and feel a plethora of compassion. It has pulled me from times I thought I would never see the light, saved me from myself and anything in this world against me. It has created a new type of freedom in me. Feeling the emotion and passion of music has become an addiction and I can't say that I will ever be tired of it.

I don't know if I will ever truly be able to express in words the way that music has affected me as a person. It is something so raw and deep. I have seen people break down because of the surreal power of music and watched people connect to each other when they otherwise wouldn't have. I have watched people jump up and down, scream, drown in happiness, and feel more alive than they ever have. One common interest. One setting. One equal in passion. Music affects everyone in some way, no matter how small. How does it affect you?