Moving Is Just Not Fun

Moving Is Just Not Fun

It really sucks
47

If there is anything that I will remember the most about my twenties, is how much I moved. I am originally from Queens, New York and I go to University in New Jersey. So, every August, I pack up my stuff to bring back to school for me. In May, I have to move back home. So, doing this for five and a half years is no big deal. However, this semester, I have also had to go back home to help my mom move houses. Let me tell you: It sucks! Here are the reasons why:

1. Books
    Between me and my mom, we have A LOT of books. My mom passed down her love of reading to me, so naturally, I have a lot of books that I am not willing to part with… Except with the Twilight and Fifty Shades series. If anyone wants them, I’ll give it away. When moving, my mom and I realized that most of our card-box boxes with books. No, I will NOT decrease the amount of books I own. I’m just a proud bookworm.
  2. Clothing

Luckily, our clothing situation was not so bad because we don’t buy clothes every season. Although, my mother has sooooo many scarves and suits. She has not worn them in over ten years...and yet she hordes them in suitcases. Why? I do not know. My mom is odd. That said, we were definitely able to make keep, throwaway, and donate piles with ease. The reason why this part sucks is because of the fact you’ll have to do laundry before packing and then fold them and sort them in different piles.
  3. Kitchenware

I come from an Indian family and Indian kitchens have a lot of spices that should be stored properly, sorted and see what else needs to be stocked up on. There are dishes, forks, knives, Tupperware and etc. Then, you need to toss the food that is expired or unnecessary to take to the new place. You’re just better off going to the grocery store after moving to set up your new kitchen.
  4. The Little Knickknacks

The one thought that ran through my mind throughout the whole process, “How did we even get half of all of this stuff?!” This is definitely where you will have to decide whether or not you even want some of the knick knacks.
  5. Packing

It just sucks.
  6. Going up and down the stairs

In my old house, I lived on the second floor. In the second house, we were moving to the third floor. We don’t have an elevator to in the apartment so carrying all the heavy boxes is just not fun. Then again, my brother did send two of his friends to help my mom and me out.

7. Unpacking

This also sucks.
  8. Setting up the House

This deserves its own category because every new place has its own charm and personality. It’s definitely a brand new chance to reinvent yourself. It just sucks because you have to organize all the boxes in what rooms they will go and then when you decide to paint your walls, that’s a whole new mess and a lot more time and energy.It is all definite pain in the rear.

With all that said, moving places is also a good way of cleansing your energy and it is nice to meet new people in your new neighborhoods. Also… my teaching license is from New Jersey so I am pretty sure that I will have to move… again… Great.