Moving away was the right choice for me

Moving away was the right choice for me

Stepping outside of my comfort zone

157
Moving away was the right choice for me

Moving away for college wasn't the easiest decision. I grew up wrapped around my dad's finger, attending family grill-outs every Monday, and spending my free time attending cousins' sporting events. My whole world revolved around being with my family and I absolutely loved every second of it. Aside from being attached at the hip to each member of my family, my friends were also my rock. Sitting in my friends' living rooms, watching movies, and laughing until we cried made my heart warm. I never would have thought I would move 134 miles away from my home.

For as long as I can remember I told my mom that I would live at home and go to the local college. Every time I said that she would roll her eyes and say, "No you are not!!" I was headstrong on this decision until my junior year of high school. I started looking at the best schools for my major and most were hundreds of miles away from me. I knew that if I wanted to receive the best education for what I wanted to do in the future, I would have to move.

After choosing a school that was 3 hours away, time felt like it was speeding up each day and move-in day was getting closer and closer. I constantly questioned if I made the right decision. Little did I know that this would be the best decision I ever made.

Before moving away, I was someone who would follow the crowd. I never knew who my real friends were, I just wanted to be like everyone else. I knew that in order to break out of my comfort zone and pop my personal bubble that stopped me from being who I truly was, I needed to cut the apron strings.

Moving wasn't easy and the transition was far from perfect. I would cry myself to sleep most nights and contemplate transferring every single day. But day by day it got easier and I began to love where I was living and the person I was slowly becoming. I was becoming a more independent, confident, and happier person as I entered my second semester. Today, I couldn't imagine being anywhere else.

Each summer, as August rolls around, a confusing rush of feelings overwhelm me for the weeks leading up to moving back to school. I am filled with excitement about going back to school with my friends but also a sense of sadness as each summer I make more and more friendships and connections with people. Sitting at my favorite bar, with my favorite people I am always bombarded with questions like, "So, when are you transferring?" or "How about you don't leave and just stay?" I would be lying if I didn't say the thoughts cross my mind every single time. But, my answer is always the same. "Trust me, you want me to go back to school because if I didn't go to school there, we wouldn't be sitting here right now. I would be sitting in my room, listening to a sad song, dreaming of a life I wish I had." This is the life I always dreamed of wanting. Surrounded by people who want to see me and happy with the person that I am. I wouldn't be living this life if I didn't move away and step outside my comfort zone.

Being away from home only makes me appreciate it even more. I get excited to see my friends again. I get excited thinking of the many hugs I will receive. I get excited to know that I am loved from 134 miles away. I am a completely different person than I was three years ago. I broke free from that insecure, shy, and close-minded person I was the second I left my childhood home. I am proud of the woman I have grown into and get excited about what the future will hold.