Why Moving Away Isn’t The End Of The World

Moving Away, And Why It’s Not The End Of The World

I speak on this topic from experience - I haven't moved as much as some people, but I've done my fair share (4 times) that I'd say I have the authority to write an article on this topic.

33

If you've ever moved, you know the struggle of having to leave behind friends, family, anyone and anything you've held near and dear and start anew. Moving away can stir up a mix of emotions ranging from the sadness of what was left behind to fear of what's to come. For those of you who moved as a child, it was probably a confusing experience; one day you're playing with your friends, then the next you're packing up all your stuff and moving away. And unless you have a way of contacting them, the only thing that you have left of them are the memories you hold on to. Moving for college is a different experience as you still leave everything behind, but when you visit your family, everything is right where you left it. It's bittersweet to dig up that time capsule of memories waiting for you upon returning home; discovering everything you tried to move on from but also the reunion of those memories and people.

Moving once in a lifetime is heartbreak but repeating that process can be devastating. Moving more doesn't make the process any easier as each time you move, you leave a piece of you behind. All the effort and time you put into building relationships with people seem to go to waste. Even if you are able to stay in contact with them, you'll never be as close as when you were in close proximity with them. That said, moving does teach you to be more adaptable and forces you to grow. Even though you left a piece of you behind, that piece made an impact on the people you interacted with. Even if you forget that piece you left behind, it's a piece that didn't go to waste.

Once you've moved through, do not try to live as if you were still there by trying to keep in daily contact with everyone you left behind. This will only hinder your ability to make new friends, making it harder to move on. Granted, I'm not saying to drop all ways of communicating with the friends you left behind, but don't let communicating with them hinder your ability to make and communicate with new friends. Accepting that you have moved can be hard but rewarding because it's only once you come to terms with your situation are you truly able to move on. You might have moved physically, but until you move on mentally, you make adjusting to your new life much harder.

Moving away might seem like the end of the world, everything you cared about becomes but a memory. This would be an overstatement though as it's like leaving your world behind and starting a new one; much like starting a new save file in a game, you start back from the beginning. You get to start anew - forget and leave behind any mistakes you've made. A chance for a clean slate to make new memories and accomplishments. To say you'll never return to your old world is a bit extremist thinking; in some circumstances, this might be the case, but most of the time you get the chance to visit and see all your old friends, and possible family too.