The Truth About Moving Out At A Young Age

Leave the nest when you are ready to be an adult.

2616
Olympic Movers

The second you turn 18, wether you like it or not, you become an adult. While there are a lot of pressures that come with adulthood, the most significant by far is the societal pressure to move out on or shortly after your 18th birthday. In previous generations moving out as soon as possible was a feasable tradition, but unfourtunatly it just isn't possible for Millenials in todays' economy. Rather than feel obligated to move out right away, stop and really think about why you want to leave.

It can be really difficult to communicate with parents at times, but it is possible to have a real discussion with with them. It is important to start the conversation with a level head and to slowly and calmly articulate your points in a clear and logical fashion. Some parent's are adament about having you out on you own, but explain to them that you don't have the finances to make it happen but that in exchange for room and board you'll pitch in to rent or pick up more responsibilities around the house. Staying at home with your parents lets you learn how to properly adult in little chunks rather than being thrown into a 'sink-or-swim' scenario.

Living on your own isn't exactly what it's cracked up to be. Sure, you have all the privacy you can handle but it's so lonely. Even if you move in with a roomate or significant other it still feels like you're all alone. Home doesn't feel like home without family. You find yourself missing the strangest things. I miss getting woken up early because my little brothers were being obnoxious; I miss my family teasing me and speaking to me before I have had my coffee even though they know how much that gets under my skin. Coming from somebody who moved out too soon, you don't even know what you're missing until you're already gone.

Let's say you have to move out. Maybe you're being forced or maybe you feel ready to be out on your own. Whatever the case, the most crucial step is to plan out and budget every little thing. A move isn't as simple as packing, transporting, and unpacking; there are many things that you probably won't have and need to obtain ASAP. These things include everything from toilet paper to kitchen utensils. It's up to you to list out all the things you will need, include them into your moving budget and if necessary, prioritize what you will need right now and what you can go without until next paycheck.

Moving out is an amazing adventure, but only if you're truly ready for it. It's possile to survive on your own, but you should never feel obligated to leave so long as you're not a strain on the houshold. If your parents are willing to work something out with you, take them up on the offer. Whatever they ask of you will be much easier than trying to get your own place.