10 Movies Everyone Should Watch About Black Lives Matter To Actually Educate Themselves

Films to watch to educate yourself on the Black Lives Matter movement

1527

Due to everything going in the world, it is important to stay educated on the Black Lives Matter movement. Below is a list of inspiring movies to watch to help understand what Black people go through on a daily basis and what is still going on in the world today.

1. "The Hate U Give"

Adapted from the award-winning young adult novel by Angie Thomas, THUG follows the life of Starr Carter. Starr Carter, played by Amandla Stenberg, lives the best of both worlds- well, not really.

She lives in a poor Black neighborhood and attends a mostly all-white private prep school, but everything changes when she witnesses her best childhood friend shot and murdered at the hands of a cop.

Being the only witness at the scene, Starr must step up, find her voice, and stand up for what's right. It's such a powerful film, especially during times like this.

2. "Boyz N the Hood"

An NAACP Award winner, we follow the life of Tre, played by Cuba Gooding Jr. When Tre is sent to move with his father in South Central Los Angeles, Tre is forced to start a new life.

Although he is raised with proper values and respect, Tre surrounds himself with friends who have a different upbringing and no support. Instead, they are drawn to the neighborhood's gang violence and the booming drug culture, leading to lots of tragedies and consequences. This one is a classic!

3. "The Color Purple"

Based on the novel by Alice Walker, over the span of 40 years, we follow the life of Celie, played by Whoopi Goldberg. Celie is an African American woman from the South who survives years of extreme abuse from her father who then forces her to marry the even worse Albert Johnson, played by Danny Glover. Celie is forced to persevere in hopes of reuniting with her sister in Africa. This movie is incredibly inspiring and shows the true meaning of being strong.

4. "Get Out"

The movie that nearly changed history for the horror film industry, "Get Out" tells the story of Chris, played by Daniel Kaluuya, and his girlfriend Rose, portrayed by Allison Williams.

When Rose invites Chris to meet her parents upstate for a weekend, Chris can't believe the odd behavior of her parents. But, as the weekend progresses, Chris soon realizes that things are not what they seem and is faced with a series of discoveries that lead him to the truth.

The truth being something he would have never even imagined. This movie will leave you on the edge of your seat and show you what racism really is.

5. "Selma"

The historical drama about Dr. Martin Luther King Jr, played by David Oyelow, gives more insight on discrimination against Black people. Even after the Civil Rights Act legally desegregated the South, Blacks still had difficulty voting. The film tells the tale of the iconic march from Selma to Montgomery and the efforts to sign the Voting Rights Act.

6. "Just Mercy"

A new Harvard graduate, Bryan Stevenson, played by Micheal B. Jordan, heads to Alabama to defend those wrongly condemned or those who cannot afford proper representation. But Stevenson is in for a ride when assigned to Walter McMillion, who is sentenced to the death penalty for the murder of an 18-year-old girl despite having evidence he is innocent. The film encounters racism and so much more in the fight for Walter McMillion's life. One of my new all-time favorite movies.

7. "Moonlight"

The Academy Award winning film is a coming of age story of Chiron, played by Mahershala Ali. Chiron is a young, Black man growing up in Miami, and the movie tells the story of his journey to adulthood. The film's theme of Black male identity, as well as sexual identity, is so important right now.

8. "Hidden Figures"

Another one of my all-time favorite movies in the world, we follow three bad-ass and brilliant Black women. Katherine Johnson, played by Taraji P. Henson, Dorothy Vaughan, played by Octavia Spencer, and Mary Jackson, played by Janelle Monáe. The three are the masterminds behind the launch of astronaut John Glenn, which turned around the Space Race and changed the world. It is phenomenal.

9. "Harriet"

Played by Cynthina Erivo, we follow the life and journey of Harriet Tubman. From her escaping slavery to leading hundreds of slaves through the Underground Railroad, this film shows it all. So inspiring and a new favorite, the story of Harriet Tubman is truly remarkable.

10. "Blackkklansman"

Set in the early 1970s, Ron Stallworth, played by John David Washington, is now the first Black detective to serve in the Colorado Springs Police Department.

Determined to change the world, he sets off on a risky investigation: expose the Ku Klux Klan. He then enlists a more experienced colleague, Flip Zimmerman, portrayed by Adam Driver, and the two set off on a mission of a lifetime.