Movies, Books, And Songs By Black Creators You MUST Add To Your Summer Queue

Your education on Black history and Black Lives Matter should not have ended on #BlackOutTuesday.

6558
Fox 2000 Pictures

America and MANY other countries are fighting for the lives of our Black brothers and sisters. The violence and institutional racism against Black people is absolutely disgusting and unacceptable.

As we continue to educate ourselves on the racial injustices and police brutality in the United States, consider adding these movies, books, and songs to your summer entertainment. Support Black artists, directors, authors. Learn how to be an ally with action instead of just words.

Movies and TV Shows:​​

If you have not watched "Moonlight" yet, you need to. This film is extremely touching and raw about the life of a young Black man growing up and navigating choices, trials, and sexuality.

By now you have probably heard of Ava DuVernay's series "When They See Us," a four-part series based on the wrongful convictions of five young men — The Central Park Five — falsely accused of raping a woman in Central Park in 1989. The whole series follows the questioning of the men up until their exoneration in 2002.

SEE ALSO: "When They See Us" SHOULD Make You Uncomfortable, That's All The More Reason To Watch It

Books

Continue your education on Black history with "Red Summer" by Cameron McWhirter.

"Written through a journalist's perspective rather than a historian's, the book includes thorough detail of the fight for civil rights post-WWll."

SEE ALSO: 30 Independent, Black-Owned Bookstores You Can Order From Online Right Now

Another educational book for your beach read this summer is "Stamped From The Beginning" by Ibram X Kendi.

"Learn how racist ideas were birthed and implemented throughout history by pro-slavery thinkers. The book steers away from the idea that racism is "ignorance" but rather "brilliantly honed" and the masses manipulated."

Support Black authors with these high-rated favorites like "Just Mercy" by Bryan Stevenson and "White Rage" by Dr. Carol Anderson

SEE ALSO: 15 Anti-Racist Children's Books Perfect For You And Your Kid Because Nobody Is Born Racist

Music

Add these songs on this list from Black artists to your favorite Spotify playlist like "We Won't Move" by Arlissa from the film "The Hate U Give."

"A Change Is Gonna Come" by Sam Cooke, "Glory" by John Legend and Common, and "Alright" by Kendrick Lamar are incredible choices for you to listen to to encourage you to help the fight for Black Lives Matter.

Lyrics from these songs definitely illustrate the anti-black racism in this country.

"Black Rage" by Lauryn Hill

"Old time bureaucracy drugging the youth
Black rage is founded on blacking the truth
Murder and crime, compromise and distortion
Sacrifice, sacrifice who makes this fortune?"

"Trapped" by 2pac

"You know they got me trapped in this prison of seclusion, happiness, living on the streets is a delusion
Even a smooth criminal one day must get caught, shot up or shot down with the bullet that he bought
Nine millimeter kickin' thinking about what the streets do to me"

"Be Free" by J. Cole

"Can you tell me why every time I step outside, I see my n**gas down
Ooh, I'm letting you know
That it ain't no gun they can make that could kill my soul"