10 Times Songs Addressed Police Brutality And Anti-Black Racism

I'm sure you commemorated #blackouttuesday by posting a black screen.

So incase you didn't know the significance of #blackouttuesday is that it is a protest originally organized by two black women who are marketing directors named Brianna Agyemang and Jamila Thomas, to call for a day of "pause" on June 2 across the music industry meant to symbolize the racism and inequality that exists within the industry and daily life.

I am sure that we are all well aware of what many music companies such as Apple, YouTube, and Spotify did to commemorate #blackouttuesday.

However, I thought it would be nice to list 10 songs that you can listen to right now that speak to police brutality and anti-black racism so we do not forget the significance of such protests.

1. "Alright" - Kendrick Lamar

"And we hate po-po
Wanna kill us dead in the street for sure, n**gas
I'm at the preacher's door
My knees gettin' weak and my gun might blow
But we gon' be alright"

2. "Be Free" - J. Cole

"Can you tell me why every time I step outside
I see my n**gas down
Ooh, I'm letting you know
That it ain't no gun they can make that could kill my soul"

3. "Neighbors" J. Cole

"Some things you can't escape
Death, taxes, NRA
It's this society that make
Every n**ga feel like a candidate
For a Trayvon kinda fate
Even when your crib sit on a lake
Even when your plaques hang on a wall
Even when the president jam your tape"

4. "The Charade" - D'Angelo

"All we wanted was a chance to talk
'Stead we only got outlined in chalk
Feet have bled a million miles we've walked
Revealing at the end of the day, the charade"

5. "16 Shots" - Vic Mensa

"Got her first born son stole from her, he never had a chance
And we all know its cause he black
Shot 'em 16 times, how fucked up is that?"

6. "Black America Again" - Common ft. Stevie Wonder

"Here we go, here, here we go again
Trayvon'll never get to be an older man
Black children, they childhood stole from them
Robbed of our names and our language, stole again"

7. "Trapped" - 2pac

"You know they got me trapped in this prison of seclusion
Happiness, living on the streets is a delusion
Even a smooth criminal one day must get caught
Shot up or shot down with the bullet that he bought
Nine millimeter kickin' thinking about what the streets do to me"

8. "Power" - Rhapsody

"Badge make police feel powerful in the hood
Guns make us feel powerful but they don't do no good
I know my blackness powerful and they don't like that"

9. "Last Ones" - A'maal Nuux

"They tried to take all of our pieces
Hiding the ways, But don't ever count us out
Cuz we will be the last ones down"

10. "Black Rage" - Lauryn Hill

"Old time bureaucracy drugging the youth
Black rage is founded on blacking the truth
Murder and crime, compromise and distortion
Sacrifice, sacrifice who makes this fortune?"