Movie Review: Alice In Wonderland Through The Looking Glass

Movies can lead people into new worlds.

29
Hitthefloor.com

Movies can lead people into new worlds. Since this is a movie review there will be spoilers of the movie. So if you do not want it ruined for you stop reading here. Tim Burton is one of my favorite directors and producers. So it might a little bias in terms of a review, however it is about seeing it as it is.

A moment for Alan Rickman who was the Caterpillar in the movie. Now for the four of the main characters of the movie are Mia Wasikowska who played Alice, Johnny Depp as The Mad Hatter, Helena Bonham Carter as the Red Queen and Sacha Baron Cohen who was Time. They are the most focused on people in this movie Alice as she goes on this great adventure in wonderland to help save The Hatter but in the process she has to interact with Time himself. Mia Wasikowska is an actress with some awesome history for movies, such as Crimson Peak. However, she had her flaws in what she had done in it. Slight mannerism and ways that she moved or spoke had hints of something else in them, that took out of the moment, they were small moments.

Now in this movie Time is a hard character to explain. The way that father time is usually thought of is either of very old or wise, if not both. Here Time powerful yet weak, never ending, but with an end. What seems most important about him is that he is the good in evil and the evil in the good. This character is one where to fully understand you should watch more than once. The reason being is what Alice says about him at the end of the movie. Now I won’t say what she said for two reasons, I don’t want to spoil anything, and It’s a character change For Alice as well. The reason for him being a main character is because Alice steals something from him and he needs to get it back

Sacha Baron Cohen was a good choice for the part. He was notable in Borat and Bruno as the leads in them. He was able to fit into the world of Wonderland because of the roles he has had. In which made Time one of his own, in his right. The way that each actor should do, to make the character great.

The role of the lovable Mad Hatter belongs to Johnny Depp. Now the reason that he is important to the story he is the reason why Alice is back in Wonderland. Along with why she steals from time. So by far he is the drive for the main plot of the movie. He wasn’t a lead role but despite this Johnny Depp did an amazing job. This being said the Mad Hatter is a bit different than the first one. Keep that in mind if you haven’t seen it that there are slight changes but he is the same character. Johnny Depp played the character well, but the voice that he had used at times annoyed me at times. That is just a small note about his acting that I’ll talk about.

Red Queen has development in this movie that comes as a bit of a shock. She is trying to get redemption in this movie. Making her the driving force for one of the subplots of the movie. Her plot is bringing out some of her history and the telling of why she is the way she is. That being said you will see her and one other character in a new light. Helena Bonham Carter plays the Red Queen, now she and Johnny Depp have worked with Tim Burton before. In such movies as Sweeney Todd and Dark Shadows. Now when it come to it the two have similar acting careers. In fact in an interview Johnny Depp has said, “It seems like we are trying to one up each other.” Which comes to make them a great pair of performers that work together.

The plot is Alice goes to Wonderland to save the Hatter. In the course in doing so she at first makes him worse. Then the White Queen says that there is a way to do so. This way makes her cross paths with Time. In which she steals something of his. Along with the Red Queen subplot of her redemption. Now there are some more subplots to it but I only wanted to highlight one so you don’t see all that is coming.

The movie was good and on a scale of one to ten I would give it an eight. So I would suggest going to see it. It’s a good movie for the whole family to watch on family night. Now it’s a fun movie to watch with friends.