top movies of 2019

A Movie A Month, For The 2019 Calendar Year

That's 12 movies you need to see - one date night a month, guaranteed!

71
https://www.instagram.com/p/BsfOTZfhmdx/

Resident movie fanatic here, and I am so excited about the movies coming out this year! Without further ado, here are my top picks for each month- and the movies they beat out for that spot.

January- "The Upside"

www.kissottawa.com

I love movies based on true stories, and this one looks hilarious. It also reminds me of "Me Before You," but I hope I don't cry as much. Kevin Hart is a win, what can I say?

I know "The Kid Who Would Be King" is also coming out this month, but I just don't think it beats out "The Upside."

February- "How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World"

m.media-amazon.com

OH MAN AM I PUMPED FOR THIS! The first and second movies are two of my favorite animated movies so this one better keep up. They're always beautiful and have fantastic scores- plus night furies (and now light furies?) are based on axolotls and my best friend has an axolotl... This is the one I'm looking forward to most okay? Let yourself be a kid for a bit and enjoy this!

"Isn't It Romantic" does look good and I will definitely see it with some of my friends for a late Galentines day. I am also looking forward to seeing "Happy Death Day 2U" because the first one was such a good time. But overall, dragons win this one. Who can blame me?

March- "Captain Marvel"

heroichollywood.com

Okay, I'm going to be honest with you. I do not like Brie Larson for this role. But I trust Marvel- Kevin Feige hasn't done wrong by me so far (other than killing Loki in Infinity War but its fine I'm fine). I love Marvel, I love good action movies, and I love women having leading roles in superhero movies.

Plus, if I'm honest, I'm only interested in Chaos Walking because Tom Holland is in it, and I'm a little scared my expectations for Dumbo are too high.

April- "Avengers Endgame"

img.timesnownews.com

I was torn between "The Best of Enemies" and "Hellboy" for my April movie pick, but then Marvel had to go and move "Endgame" from May 3rd to April 26th. Blame them for the two Marvel movies in a row on this list, not me.

What can I say? I need answers. "Infinity War" caused too much pain, I'm praying we get our victory here or it might kill me. I'm waiting with bated breath and its January, people.

But yeah, I think "Shazam" looks too goofy (even though I love his comic self) but I have a feeling I will eventually see it. "Pet Sematary" looks good but less groundbreaking. I will definitely be seeing "Hellboy," simply because Hopper from "Stranger Things" is the lead. And the trailer for "The Best of Enemies" gave me goosebumps so that's on the list too. A lot of movies to see in April!

May- "Aladdin"

justdisney.co

Robin Williams will forever be "my" Genie. That being said, I am very excited to see how Will Smith and everyone else do at making this classic into a live action movie.

Also, nothing else interesting has been announced to come out in May so far.

June- "Dark Phoenix"

m.media-amazon.com

Ohhh boy is this one going to be a heavy hitter. I was excited about these comics a year ago and I'm just as excited about the movie. Some old friends in somewhat younger bodies join some new characters and I am living for it.

I am of course still totally going to see "Men in Black International"- after all, it's got Thor AND Valkyrie!

July- "Spider-Man: Far from Home"

static0.srcdn.com

TOM HOLLAND. I love him. I'm still crying over his *scene* in "Infinity War" but gosh darn it he is the best Spider-Man and nobody can convince me otherwise.

The live action "The Lion King" also comes out in July, so you bet I will be in theaters at least twice that month!

August- "New Mutants"

images.spot.im

A much darker X-Men movie, basically a Marvel horror movie? I am IN. It's never too early for spooks, and I'm forever a Marvel nerd so you know I'm going.

"Artemis Fowl" also comes out this month, which makes my 5th-grade heart happy.

September- "IT: Chapter 2"

cdn3.movieweb.com

YES. I loved the first one and am definitely ready to see how it ends! Plus, fun fact, the first time I held my current boyfriend's hand was when we saw this with friends in theaters- we weren't even dating yet.

"IT II" beat out "Spies in Disguise," an animated movie with Will Smith and Tom Holland... I'm sure I'll still see it though.

October- "Joker"

wegotthiscovered.com

Joaquin Phoenix may not be Heath Ledger, but I am in. Phoenix's Joker will be hundreds of times better than Jared Leto's Joker for sure. The Joker became my favorite villain when I was like 12 so I am very ready for an origin story. (I know it's a shock from my Marvel loving self, but at one time I didn't care about the difference.) This movie is supposed to be heartbreaking but I am here for that.

October also holds "Gemini Man," another Will Smith spy movie that seems much more intense than "Spies in Disguise."

November- "Charlie's Angels"

cdn.traileraddict.com

They got Sir Patrick Stewart, I feel the need to see it. Plus I'm not excited for all the "Frozen 2" hubbub later in the month.

December- "Star Wars: Episode IX"

d13ezvd6yrslxm.cloudfront.net

It does not have a title yet and I think Rey is a cruddy character, but by golly I just want to see how they end this, okay? They better not do any injustice to the Queen (Carrie Fisher).

"Cats" is also coming out but is a bit underwhelming comparatively. I mean Idris Elba is a win but I think Taylor Swift cancels him out... we'll see, okay?

And there you have it, the top movie to see each month as of right now, and their runners up! I hope this helps your movie hunt as much as it did mine. I feel like I'm more ready for the year knowing I have all of this to look forward to.