Miracles Still Happen

Miracles Still Happen

“There is no pit so deep, that God's love is not deeper still.” - Corrie Ten Boom

11
Miracles Still Happen
David Bell

Like I've said before, my biggest fear is being vulnerable but here we go anyways! When I was two weeks old, I died.

Let me explain, when I was born, I had a heart coarctation which basically means that my right aorta tube was shut like when you'd put your thumb over the end of a garden hose to make it shoot farther and harder. About two weeks later, I went into cardiac arrest and my organs all started failing at once. At two weeks old I was dying and my parents' prayer life went through the roof. I actually flatlined for a very short amount of time. I obviously survived thanks to all the people lifting me up in prayer and the doctors who operated on me. A few weeks earlier, this same surgeon made a mistake with another young man. This young man is now bound to a wheelchair, unable to speak, and requiring supervision at all times. Statistics say that I shouldn't be alive. Statistics dictate that I don't deserve to be alive, but God does miracles. God supersedes statistics. This young man's parents are now being used by God as a show of faith and trust in Him. God does miracles.

Another more relevant example of a miracle in my life is something I've talked about previously. When I was a teenager, I went through a season of about 4 years of depression, suicidal thoughts and actions, multiple eating disorders, and a lack of a relationship with God. I was a pharisee. My idea of Jesus was a legalistic set of rules. He's quite the opposite. Jesus is grace personified, not a set of rules to follow. I tried my hardest to follow these "rules" to hopefully attain perfection. I had a false sense of pseudo-perfection. I became frustrated in this quest of perfection due to me consistently sinning and missing the mark. This frustration grew to me eventually giving my dad the nastiest right hook I possibly could. I punched my dad. I punched the man who I owed my survival to. I punched my earthly father, threatened to kill him, and tore apart my family. I was 17 but God does miracles.

Thankfully, that's not the end of the story. God did yet another miracle and now I call my dad daily for advice, updates on the baseball world, and for the sake of our friendship. I now have a relationship with my earthly father and my Heavenly Father. God does miracles.

I'm not saying that I'm better or more important. I'm not saying that God loves me more. That's not it. What I am saying is that if you feel hopeless, if you feel like your current situation is bleak, if you need a miracle, let me introduce you to the man who does miracles: Jesus. Miracles still happen and mountains still move. Corrie Ten Boom once said, “There is no pit so deep, that God's love is not deeper still.” God's love does miracles. Let Him work in your life. Much love and God bless.