To The Writer Who Has Lost The Motivation to Write

To The Writer Who Has Lost The Motivation To Write

The ultimate writer's block is when you don't want to write at all.

14

I can't tell you how many times I've wanted to give up writing. It can be very stressful and even discouraging when the work you're putting out isn't getting the reactions you hoped for. It feels like there is really no point at all and that you should probably focus your attention elsewhere.

You have suddenly lost all desire for something that once made you elated and proud.

I mean this for any kind of writer: the poet, the rapper, the creative writer, even our very own Odyssey writers. It sometimes leaves a bad taste in your mouth when you have no idea what kind of content you should put out, or even if you should put out any at all.

I've felt this way for a quite some time. Every time I slide up to my laptop, I freeze up. I'm unsure of myself and if this is really my craft. I wonder whether I should quit altogether and just focus on school. It's not any better when you receive little to no criticism on your work.

It's kind of like, is anyone even paying attention?

My dilemma with my writing is I always try to focus on what is happening around me, what's going on in the world. I try to write based on that. Sometimes it is more or less about what I enjoy and more about what will get the most traction. What will really jump out at readers and make them really think.

I try not to force myself out there too much. Otherwise, I feel like people won't be interested in who and what I am as a writer. I'm always looking for that "wow" factor that will really attract people to my art.

But if I'm not enjoying my work, then isn't it all just a waste of time?

I will tell you right now, writing for yourself, no matter what aspect, is what is really important. And those who read your content will see and enjoy that part of you. You will mean something to them. Like it should mean something to you.

Don't pay attention to the views or what's popular too much because it will eventually become old news. Write about what interests you and what you enjoy. And if it happens to be popular, that's cool too.

Take all kinds of criticisms in your work, to see where you need improvements and how you can better yourself as a writer. All criticism is good criticism, in my opinion.

And don't forget to have fun with it! Because if you're not enjoying what you do, what's the point?