Inspirational movies

7 Movies With Motivating Messages To Get You Through The Semester

The grind never stops, but you can take a movie break.

90

With the end of the semester approaching, there seem to be a million things that need to be finished. Papers, exams, quizzes, projects, everything begins to pile up at once and there doesn't appear to be a way out. However, sometimes all you need to build up the motivation necessary to persevere and succeed is a little push, and what better push than a movie night?

1. "Legally Blonde"

Legally Blonde

Resonating with students, women, and people in general for nearly two decades, "Legally Blonde" is one of the most motivational movies of all time. The story follows Elle Woods, a sorority girl from California, who is heartbroken when her long-term boyfriend breaks up with her as he heads to Harvard Law. Elle plots to win him back by following him to Harvard, only to find that she has a knack for this law thing after all. "Legally Blonde" is the perfect testament to working towards your dreams in the face of adversity, full of comedy and inspiring moments.

2. "Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse"

Spiderverse

One of the biggest hits of 2018, "Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse" is worthy of its Academy Award and Golden Globe for its inspiring story about taking a leap of faith. "Into the Spiderverse" follows teen Miles Morales as he discovers his new abilities and must use them alongside various other Spiderpeople when dimensions collide. A beautiful masterpiece of different animation styles, as well as full of beloved comic-book characters, "Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse" will motivate you to stare your obstacles right in the face and take that leap of faith.

3. "Captain Marvel"

Captain Marvel

A new blockbuster addition to Marvel's collection, "Captain Marvel" is an empowering film for people everywhere. In the film, Carol Danvers must find the answers to her obscured past when she is sent back to Earth to stop the encroaching, shape-shifting Skrulls from destroying it. However, as the learns more about who she is, she discovers that everything is not as it seems. In preparation for "Avengers: Endgame," "Captain Marvel" is just the film to remind you of your true potential as you tackle the rest of the semester.

4. "Wonder Woman"

Wonder Woman

One of the latest films in the DC Extended Universe repertoire, 2017's "Wonder Woman" remains a masterpiece with its messages of empowerment, compassion, and determination. Set between the past and present, "Wonder Woman" follows Diana Prince as she leaves her idyllic home of Themyscira to stop World War One, which she believes to be caused by the rogue god of war, Ares. Be sure to check out "Wonder Woman" before the sequel coming next year!

5. "Good Will Hunting"

Good Will Hunting

Considered a classic, "Good Will Hunting" is a perfect coming of age story whose messages will motivate you to leave behind that which is keeping you down in favor of bigger and brighter things. "Good Will Hunting" follows the genius titular character, Will, when his stellar academic abilities are discovered by one of the professors at MIT. Will must then decide if this new world of academia and glory is worth leaving behind his humble roots.

6. "Hidden Figures"

Hidden Figures

"Hidden Figures" is a marvel in all senses of the word with its story of female empowerment and historical accuracy. The 2016 star-studded film follows the true story behind NASA's launching a man into orbit, all with the help and brilliance of three African-American women. Truly a testament of inspiration and determination, "Hidden Figures" will remind you just how important your actions are, and how greatness can be acquired with enough hard work.

7. "Whiplash"

Whiplash

Full of music and inspiring messages, 2014's "Whiplash" resonates with both aspiring musicians and hopeful people in general. "Whiplash" centers on the story of an aspiring jazz drummer, Andrew, when he is discovered by instructor Terence. The two begin to work together to make Andrew's dreams come true, but Andrew soon finds that his vigorous lessons towards the top might be driving him mad.

Which movie will you be watching for motivation?