How to Motivate Yourself to Study for Finals

5 easy steps to ensure you make the most of your time.
679

It’s that time of the year! With the impending doom of finals, it can be increasingly hard to find motivation when you have to study 5 hours straight for biology. Here are some quick ways to ensure you stay motivated while studying, or to get motivated, if you have none to begin with.

1. Find the right study space.

It is crucial to find a place to study that fits your particular learning style. If you are a visual learner, it might be helpful to be in a room with a white board, so you can draw out your notes in ways you will remember. If you are someone who learns best through reading/writing, then a quiet room will be a better option. Choose whatever best fits your need.

2. Remove the distractions.

Now, I understand that you will never completely be able to remove your distractions a 100 percent, but try anyway. If you can’t turn off your cell phone, then at least put it on silent. Remove the Facebook app temporarily or just turn off the notifications. If this still might be too difficult, then simply put your phone away from your reach. Not having it in your sight will tremendously help keeping your mind away from it and direct your focus where it belongs.

3. Make a precise schedule.

Creating a specific schedule is extremely helpful since it allows you to plan other activities around it ahead of time. Having blocks spread out for different classes will help compartmentalize the different information you’re learning rather than having it all jumbled in your head. Make sure that you’re writing down this schedule physically on a piece of paper or in a journal online instead of just mentally. Putting the schedule down physically will prepare your mind for a concrete action plan and motivate you to act upon it.

4. Set goals for yourself.

Each study session should have a goal you’re striving for. Make a list of all the things you wish to gain from it. Write it down in as much detail as possible. Having this list will help guide your study session in terms of what areas you should focus upon. For example, if your goal is to review a topic that is not your forte, you will not waste too long on a topic you are already proficient in.

5. Actually get started.

Now this right here is the hardest part of them all because finding the study space, or coming with lists is not as much of a challenge as actually sitting down, opening up the textbook/laptop and starting to work, though the other steps are a great way to prepare for it. This is exactly why goal setting is so important, if you have a small goal, then accomplishing that will not seem as daunting, and it will also provide a motivational boost for the rest of session.

Hopefully, these five steps will benefit you in maximizing your efficiency to study for the finals. Do not let the workload or your current grade in a class discourage you from making the most out of these final exams. Remember, whether you worked hard all semester or not, you survived it, and you can make it through this as well. Good luck!