Reading: The Most Underrated Hobby

Reading: The Most Underrated Hobby

Taking better advantage of the little things in life

192
Reading: The Most Underrated Hobby

I never know how to answer the question, "What are your favorite hobbies?" How can I answer this in a way that will make me sound like an interesting person and is still truthful? I'm like everybody else who hangs out with their friends, watches Netflix and listens to music. But I also love to read. I know how lame that sentence sounds. Reading isn't exactly a super fun and exciting activity that most people look forward to at the end of their day — but it should be. There are so many underrated things about reading that we need to be taking better advantage of.

First of all, reading is interesting. It truly is like "television in your head." But reading is different in the ways that it works your mind while you're just relaxing on the couch. Reading stories instead of watching them on TV lets you create your own version of the story. The way the characters look, how the setting is and the events that happen are going to be completely different in your mind than any other reader's. One reason why a lot of movies ruin the books for me — because my own version of the story (my favorite version) is not like anything I imagined it to be.

Reading is great for the mind. Reading for pleasure, outside of school assignments, is great for growth. You're learning, and it's enjoyable. There are so many different books out there and so many options to choose from to find something you like. I could spend hours in a bookstore and never be able to narrow down which book I want to read next.

On another note, reading truly is relaxing. There's nothing better than unwinding with a good book in your favorite comfy spot wherever you are. Even though your mind is working while you read, you can just sit and let the story take you. It's quiet and peaceful, a perfect activity when you need to destress.

When I'm asked the question, "What are your favorite hobbies," I don't hesitate to list reading. Reading books, articles, journals, blogs, whatever you please, gives people the opportunity to share interests and discuss what they've read. Some really fascinating opinions and discoveries can come out of enriching your mind with a good read.

If you're looking for a new hobby, a way to spice up your life, visit a bookstore and pick up a book you'll enjoy. No matter how long it takes you to finish it, you'll always have something relaxing to do and look forward to in your free time.