The Most Relatable College Student Struggles

A list of UGA student problems

121

As a University of Georgia college student, we all can understand the struggles of our every day life. Starting with that horrid dragging of your body out of bed, the day continues to bring struggle after struggle until you're stuck hopping on that "struggle bus" for the rest of the week.

Some days are better than others, granted, but these 10 most common, horrific struggles never cease to cause you pain in college...

1. Being exhausted all the time.

Whether it's the dreaded 8 am, the 9:30, that occasional 10:10, or even that rare and coveted 11:15, sometimes you just can't get out of bed. can't get your college aged body out of that bed. Sometimes you sleep through your alarm, or sadly, forget even to set it the night before. But there's nothing on this earth that could lift your legs up and onto that floor. The struggle of college exhaustion is no joke.

2. Not having enough money for anything, ever.

There's the Bulldawg Cafe and that niche pizza that you can't resist, but uh oh. You have no Bulldawg Bucks left on your student ID. Oh, it's okay, just use your cash... Nevermind, you spent all that DT last night. You must be hungry for the rest of the day until you can get home, around 5 or 6 pm of course, and eat the leftover peanut butter and jelly sandwich you made for lunch today. It's just not as exciting or filling of a meal as it was when you were five-years-old...

3. Walking up hills to class - so basically, we're talking about walking anywhere in Athens.

The University of Georgia campus is not exactly a flat plain if you've ever noticed. And while at orientation it sure looked beautiful, in a full day spent on campus going from one class to the next, you'll find that you're doing a whole lot of walking. Thus, you always end up sweating and panting while you do a fast hike of "Mount Everest" every single weekday.

4. The frustrated bus system... All of them, any time of the day, always.

Trying not to fall when the bus driver doesn't know how to stop gently.

Trying to run for the bus without looking like an idiot with your jiggling backpack throwing you all over the place, your shins screaming from the hill sprints, pushing through people NOT in a hurry left and right.

Just. missing. the. bus.

Now waiting half an hour for the next bus.

There's no room, but you're shoving yourself past that yellow line, pretty sure you don't know the people you are now "spooning" near well enough.

5. Sweating the second you step outside.

No matter how much deodorant you put on beforehand, no matter how short your shorts are and how thin your tank's spaghetti straps are-- it's still scorching and you'll need a shower the minute you step out the door. While you're lucky enough to get a breather from the walking/running you've been doing all day, you now get to sit and wait for that bus you missed, for who knows how long, in the blazing hot sun. Forget thinking to walk a block to save time, either because let's not forget how fun it is to run to class in the heat.

6. Trying to keep HOPE/Zell Miller.

It's a monumental feat to keep your grades up while simultaneously keeping track of all the other ten million things that's going on around this campus. Yes, UGA is a very academic school, no doubt. But why is it so hard to keep a scholarship? Because there are only 24 hours in a day and no matter how smart you are, keeping your grades up is a constant struggle when faced with the infinite opportunities for getting involved here and having some fun too.

7. Staying in when all your friends are getting lit.

No matter what day of the week it is, and we're talking a solid Monday through Sunday, no matter how tired you are, no matter how much work you have to catch up on - watching people go out in Athens while you're at home never fails to create a gut-wrenching case of FOMOS. Athens is just too fun.

8. Missing your family/friends from home.

Of course college friends are some of the greatest gifts you have ever received, but nothing can replace those loved ones back home. Whether you're from Athens, far across the country, or across the world for that matter, there is nothing like being with your family in the easy and familiar place you've always called home. Sometimes, it feels like you just need your own bed, shower, pets, and mom's home cooked meals.

9. Embarrassing yourself in front of a 100+ student lecture hall.

Your phone rings and in approximately 0.2 seconds the entire room is looking at you, including the professor wearing the infamous death glare. "Sorry," you scream with a bright red face and your panicked, sweaty hands start clicking ANY and all buttons in order to stop the noise.

Or even worse, you're racking your brain to figure how you can possibly get to class tomorrow without the 3.2 mile run in the sick southern heat and the sardine-like bus ride, to hear the teacher call your name to answer a question on homework you didn't do because you overslept. So awkward.

10. Trying to do everything in 24 hours.

The ultimate struggle of a college student is trying to do it all; all of the things we care about cannot physically be taken on in a college student's life. Trying to maintain a good GPA, having a job, volunteering, eating healthily or at least eating all three meals, exercising, having a social life, and trying to get at least the minimum amount of sleep needed every night often just can't work. But we still continue to try because why can't we stretch ourselves as thin as possible and still succeed? It is college after all. We want it and have to do it all, right?