The Most Exciting And Ridiculous New "Smart" Products On The Rise

692

With technology reaching new levels every day, there has been a recent surge in "smart" devices: interactive products that process data and provide intelligent information to users. While many companies creating these products hope to be the "World's first smart ____", some devices fall so short it can feel embarrassing to be part of a society that would actually waste money on them.

In my opinion, there are three main goals that every company should have when creating a new "smart" device. The first goal is that the product should be easy to use and should make consumers' lives significantly more convenient. Second, it should be useful, helpful, or provide benefits that consumers did not have prior to buying the product. And lastly, it should be creative and innovative in a way that makes us understand and think more deeply about an idea or way of living (for example: nutrition, exercise, physical safety).

Based on my rating scale of convenience, usefulness, and creativity, the following is a list of 13 new and rising, or recently funded "Smart" products, rated in order from completely unnecessary to our everyday lives to potentially profitable and successful.

12. Click Stick: The world's first smart deodorant dispenser.

What it claims to be: According to its site, "ClickStick is an innovative IP-protected dispensing technology that can be applied to personal care, cosmetic and medical products."

What it really is: Other than it being eco-friendly, I see absolutely zero need for this product in our lives. Applying deodorant is not some difficult task that people need assistance with. In terms of convenience, it would take more effort to purchase and set up this product than it would to just put on your deodorant the way you have been your entire life. The only use I see is the product's ability to evenly dispense the same amount of deodorant each time (so you don't put on too much or too little). However, I really don't think it is that difficult to figure out how much to put on.

Convenience - 0.

Usefulness - 4.

Creativity - 0.

Rating: 4/30.

11. CH4: The world's first smart FART DETECTOR(!!!).

What it claims to be: According to its Kickstarter page, "CH4 is a wearable device that you can put in your pocket or attach to your belt and it helps you to reduce your gases."

What it really is: The product does exactly what it claims to, but if you have a serious gas problem, you should probably be seeking help from a doctor rather than a smart gadget.

Convenience - 4.

Usefulness - 4.

Creativity - 3.

Rating: 11/30.

10. Countertop: The world's first smart kitchen.

What it claims to be: According to its site, "Countertop is an amazing new system that helps you eat better and get the most out of your kitchen."

What it really is: A small board that is wirelessly connected to clips which attach to your kitchen appliances (although right now it can only attach to two very specific appliance brands). The board also connects to an app that tracks your food and basically gives you the same cooking and recipe information as a quick Google search would.

Convenience - 3.

Usefulness - 5.

Creativity - 5.

Rating: 13/30.

9. Way: The world's first smart skincare.

What it claims to be: According to its site, "WAY is a personal skincare companion, which collects real time data from your skin and the environment, and provides practical skincare and beauty tips on your smartphone."

What it really is: While the promotional video seems a little ahead of our time and might make you feel a bit uneasy, the product does have many benefits and the potential to revolutionize the way we treat and care for our skin. The only thing I see lacking is proven test results on the improvement of ones skin after using the product.

Convenience - 7.

Usefulness - 7.

Creativity - 5.

Rating: 19/30.

8. Smarty Pans: The world's first smart cooking pan.

What it claims to be: According to its site, "SmartyPans is a smart cooking pan that monitors weight of ingredients, temperature, and humidity and transfers it to a smartphone app in real time. The app uses this information to give you tailored step-by-step cooking instructions based on your cooking environment."

What it really is: A cooking pan that nearly cooks for you! Woo!

Convenience - 8.

Usefulness - 7.

Creativity - 6.

Rating: 21/30.

7. Hum: The worlds first smart vibrator.

What it claims to be: Though the website is currently under construction, this daily dot review explains, "Hum is a smart vibrator in the ultimate sense of the word: it learns what your body likes, and it responds accordingly, delivering varying frequencies of vibrations in response to how much pressure is exerted... Hum responds to its user's movements to provide a unique sexual experience that mimics what it's like to be with an actual human partner."

What it really is: The future of artificially intelligent sex toys.

Convenience - 8.

Usefulness - 9.

Creativity - 5.

Rating: 22/30.

6. HexoSkin: The world's first smart shirt.

What it claims to be: According to its site, "Hexoskin gives you insights about your physical training, sleep, and personal daily activities....Hexoskin's biometric shirt is a portable lab that monitors cardiac, respiratory, and activity data."

What it really is: A workout shirt with sensors that measure your health and how your workout is going.

Convenience - 8.

Usefulness - 9.

Creativity - 8.

Rating: 25/30.

5. EvaDrop: The world's first smart shower.

What it claims to be: According to its site, "Eva is a smart shower device that saves up to 50% of your water usage, while maintaining an enjoyable shower experience. Features include: a setting that shuts off water flow, prior to you entering the shower, when a desired temperature is reached; a unique sensor system that adjusts the water flow based off your needs, and a timer that notifies you when you are taking too long of a shower."

What it really is: A great way to help the environment and conserve water.

Convenience - 8.

Usefulness - 10.

Creativity - 8.

Rating: 26/30.

4. Hapi: The world's first smart fork.

What it claims to be: According to its site, "The HAPIfork, powered by Slow Control, is an electronic fork that helps you monitor and track your eating habits. It also alerts you with the help of indicator lights and gentle vibrations when you are eating too fast."

What it really is: A fork to help people eat slowly, resulting in less food intake, and possible weight loss. I would suggest a remodeling that involves a spoon on the other side of the handle, but regardless, the product is pretty cool.

Convenience - 9.

Usefulness - 9.

Creativity - 8.

Rating: 26/30.

3. VitalHerd: The world's first smart meat.

What it claims to be: According to its site, "A better, more productive approach to animal health, nutrition, and well-being management needs to happen. Vital Herd™ is making it happen."

What it really is: An intelligent system that greatly benefits the health of both farm animals and meat product consumers through its diligent monitoring of each individual animal to improve dairy and beef production.

Convenience - 9.

Usefulness - 10.

Creativity - 9.

Rating: 27/30.

2. SmartMat: The world's first smart yoga mat.

What it claims to be: According to its site, "...we built SmartMat to be unique to its owner. The first time you use your SmartMat, it will take you through a series of movements to calibrate your body shape, size and personal limitations. This Personal Profile information is stored in your SmartMat App, and will help SmartMat detect when you're out of alignment or balance. Over time, it will automatically evolve with updated data, as you improve your Yoga practice."

What it really is: The best solution for people who want to master yoga and perfect their positions, but can't afford a personal yoga trainer or small classes.

Convenience - 9.

Usefulness - 10.

Creativity - 9.

Rating: 28/30.

1. LifeBeam The world's first smart helmet.

What it claims to be: According to its site:

"The LifeBEAM smart helmet is the first helmet in the world that senses your body while you ride. This revolutionary piece of wearable technology monitors your heart rate, counts your calories, gives you an accurate analysis of your performance, and protects your head.

Initially developed by LifeBEAM to monitor the vital signs of pilots and astronauts, the LifeBEAM helmet was only recently introduced to the rest of the world as a wearable fitness device. With the LifeBEAM smart helmet, you can monitor your vital signs and performance with aerospace accuracy."

What it really is: This product is without a doubt, the safest and most useful helmet for all kinds of bikers.

Convenience - 10.

Usefulness - 10.

Creativity - 9.

Rating: 29/30.