The Most Classic Hall On Campus

The Most Classic Hall On Campus

25
The Most Classic Hall On Campus
Adrienne Rozells

Salvete!

Welcome to Classics Hall! Would you like to hear a little bit more about this wonderful community? First things first, as my RA Rose put would put it, “We exist!”

Classics Hall is part of Oberlin’s themed housing option. We are the oldest-running theme hall on campus, which I think makes us truly classic. We occupy a wing on the third floor of North (aka Langston). North is home to a lot of awesome themed housing options! To name a few, we share the third floor with Movie Hall, Outdoor Adventure Hall, and Transfer Hall. Sometimes we all watch Netflix and eat food in the main common room, also known as “The Thflounge!”

(I really don’t know why it’s called this. I’ve never heard anyone say it. I’m basing this knowledge entirely on this sign above the TV.)

Each hall has its own little common area. Ours is home to comfortable seating, arts and crafts supplies, books, board games, and a little TV. No fan, unfortunately. But the sweat just means that our card game nights are even more intense!

The hall houses students of all years in singles, divided doubles, and one quad. I live in a divided double, and I really love it! Here’s a peek at my room:

It’s a good balance between learning to share my space and being able to take some alone time. My room is the inner one, which makes me feel like I have a comfortable cave to escape into if I ever just need to shut the door and be on my own for awhile. But, honestly, that hasn’t become a problem yet! I was terrified about being bombarded with people in a brand new place, but socializing is surprisingly easy and good in college. It’s a weird difference from home, where leaving school meant going home and hiding away with absolutely no qualms about that. I never leave school here. My entire world is a school. I eat with classmates, walk past classmates, brush my teeth next to classmates. It’s actually pretty fun! I’ve adapted. It also means I get ridiculously excited when I see anyone who isn’t college-aged. I saw my teacher walking with her kids today, and oh my god, I forgot humans started out so tiny.

College-age people are pretty cool too, though! Pictured above are a few of us Classics first years heading to dinner. We have fam dinners in Stevie (aka Stevenson dining hall), and bonding chats in the lounge. Sometimes we all run into each other in the hallway and block the path of anyone who might try to get by because we’re too excited to share all that went on in each and every person’s day. I’m surrounded by people going through the same jarring change that I am, and upperclassmen who have recently been through it themselves. No one quite knows what they’re doing, but so far everyone has been willing to talk. I find that if you’re open with the people around you, they’re happy to be open in return. College is fun but scary. I blurt my emotions at people a lot, and because we really are a little family, Classics Hall people end up hearing a lot of it. Hall hugs are very important.

Another plus of living in Classics Hall is my wonderful roommate Maddy!

I just realized this is one of only two pictures I have of me and Maddy. It’s kinda terrifying huh? But I think it really exemplifies our roommate compatibility.

Upon arriving in Classics Hall, I was easily able to find my room thanks to the handy-dandy name sign posted on the door. Mine is underneath a wonderful picture of a Kraken. Maddy got a pegasus. We reinforced our mythical creatures with colorful tape and stickers!

There was also a note card reminder to attend the first Classics Hall meeting that night. It was left for us by Rose, our RA. She is tiny and fierce, and I would absolutely trust her to quiet down a loud hallmate at 2 in the morning if I desperately needed to study and/or sleep. That being said, the hall has been totally calm and quiet thus far!

Every door had its own notecard, and every note card had its own message written in a classical language. Ours is Latin for “know thyself” and I think that’s super applicable. I’m not entirely sure what I’m going to do in my college career. I don’t think I have to be yet. I’m here at Oberlin to try and get to know myself as best I can.

I’ll be sure to keep everyone updated on the happenings of Classics Hall. The year has only just started, so hall events haven’t really started up yet. But I recently transferred from German to Latin, so the hall must have had some effect on me! We’ve planned some fantastic bonding activities during our hall meetings—things like tea parties, paper mache creations related to Ancient civilizations, movie screenings (300 anyone?), and a modern-day Saturnalia. I mean, we’re Classics Hall. We have every reason to throw a literal toga party! It’s gonna be #classic.