More Woman Are Running For Office Than Ever

1992 was the "Year of the Woman" in the United States after multiple women, more than ever before, were elected into Congress.

This year there is a similar surge in the number of women who have declared plans to run for office. Compared to 2016, double the amount of women are now running.

Multiple states currently have no female representation in office, and there are a couple of states who have never even had a woman elected to House or Senate in history which seems absurd to me but isn't something entirely far-fetched. We have come a long way, but there's still more to be done.

These women need the support to be able to make it to November and make it in office. There are organizations like Emily's List and Maggie's List, who give the support that many of these candidates need. Representatives at these organizations also noted that many women hadn't thought of running before because they never thought that they were qualified. They are now taking matters into their own hands and running things how they would want them to be.

There are a number of different reasons why more women are running which range from different movements like #MeToo, women feeling like they're being ignored, and many topics that women feel passionate about consistently being pushed aside.

Even with the record-breaking number of women running, there is still the fact that they may not be voted in. Just nominating these women isn't enough, we have to go out and vote for them as well.

Whatever the reasons are, and whatever the outcome may be, women are making history, and 2018 is another year for it.

But it can't stop here. Once we have the momentum going, we have to keep it going.