More Than The Uniform

More Than The Uniform

We are real people too.

170
More Than The Uniform
Tulsa Jazz

Something that a lot of people don't know about cadets at the Air Force Academy is that we have lives outside of what people come here to see. Yes, we take pride in marching, we wear our uniforms so that you can see us from the chapel, but we are more than a spectacle to the public and we are more than what we will be in the military. We all have passions and interests outside of this place. I wanted to share our story on a real level. I want to show cadets outside of the uniform. I would like to thank everyone that shared their stories with me for this article, and I would like to thank anyone that took the time to read this. We take so much pride in what we do here, but we are more than the uniform.

C2C Kristen Shimkus: "I am passionate about traveling and serving others. This is a picture of myself teaching English to children in India!"

C3C Libby Read: "I am really passionate about being a mentor and role model to my five year old nephew, Case. Every time I talk with Case he reminds me that it his dream to fly airplanes too. I am always motivated to do my absolute best, so that one day I can inspire my nephew to give his very best in whatever he chooses to do in the future.

"

C3C Jack Smith: "I do a lot more than just going to school and military. I’m on the USAFA Rodeo Team and I compete in team roping. Attached is a picture of me in uniform and of me roping live cattle."

C3C Jordan Peterson: (left in the top photograph)"Hitting the slopes in Whitefish, Montana with my sister, Morgan. I am passionate about skiing, hiking, camping, playing sports, fishing, skating, dancing and worshiping God!"

C1C Matthew Miller: "I love camping and hiking. Being in the solitude of nature really helps me clear my head."

C4C Caitlin Bitting: "In this picture I am drawing caricatures. My hobby, and job back home, was art. Specifically caricature drawing at amusement parks, parties and weddings."

C3C Ashley Gooden: "I love to go on fun adventures with my friends outside of the Academy! Whether it's climbing, eating new foods, walking up a giant set of stairs in the side of a mountain, I'm doing it!"

C3C Ryan McKenna: "I'm a professional snowboard enthusiast on the weekends and amateur cadet during the week."

C1C Jan Dysico: "In the picture I am actually just modelling a dress that my friend, who was in fashion design, made. It was held at Tivoli Village which is like a small outdoor shopping district in Las Vegas.

No, I am not particularly “passionate” about being a runway model after my first and only experience, however, this picture just reminds me how influential those women are. Rather than being a runway model, I am actually passionate about being a role model. I try to be the “best me” every day, not just for myself, but to influence those around me in a positive way. I hope my ambitions and decisions in life make a good impact on others… plus, this is not the type of picture anyone would consider a “cadet girl” to be in, especially me–I hate high heels!"

C2C Collin Grahl: "The first is of me in Hawaii playing with the Drum and Bugle Corps for a pep rally before the football game against the University of Hawaii.

The second was taken in Morocco. It’s clearly me with a group of friends learning to ride camels for the first time. We were in Morocco on a CSLIP and we were studying Arabic.

My passion is learning about other cultures and lifestyles. Going to Morocco was an opportunity for me to experience a completely different way of life, especially during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan."

C2C Micaela Cuneo: "I had just summited Quandary Peak, one of Colorado’s many awesome 14ers, with a friend. I love hiking and exploring the outdoors because there’s so much to see and do here, and hiking is a great way to explore the world around you and gain a greater appreciation for nature."

C4C Patrick Walker: "The picture is of me and a friend on a Boy Scout camping/canoeing trip to Northern Tier, which is in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness in northern Minnesota. We're trying to set up a bear bag, which is a bag high up in the trees where you keep spare food so bears don't eat it. I really enjoy camping and boating, and the trip to Northern Tier was great because it was a whole week out on the water, with few other people outside of our small group in sight."

C2C Melissa Biel: "Climbing is one of the coolest things to me. There's just something about conquering canyons and mountains that thrills me."

C2C Alexander Schaffer: "I really love to dance!"

C3C Brianna Martinez: "Things I'm passionate about: 1. My love of flight and adventure, even since I was a young girl. 2. Rugby!!"

C4C Rebecca Hetrick: "Diving is one of my favorite things! I'm so glad I found it!"

C2C Sean Mishler: "I love spending time with my family. This is a picture of me and my little sister at the zoo!"

C1C Briana Winslow: "Learning about things that you’re passionate about is crucially important. Experiencing new things, people and places is what I’m passionate about, and it turns every day into an adventure."

Being a cadet is so cool, it's amazing that people come all the way out here just to see US. But sometimes I wonder if we are really seen. It's my hope to continue revealing the real lives of cadets, and I hope this is a step in the right direction.