More American Than Apple Pie

More American Than Apple Pie

Some holidays are just better than others.

25
More American Than Apple Pie
Brooklyn Magazine

The Fourth of July is pretty much the best holiday out there. I'm not going to beat around the bush here, it really is the epitome of holidays.

Oh, you don't think so? OK, let's talk.

The Fourth of July is a commemorative holiday, and an important one at that. This is a remembrance of the day our founding fathers ratified the Declaration of Independence. We officially saw the American colonies as our own nation, and, respectfully, left the British Crown.

Of course, it started a war, but this was (and still is) a big deal. Colonies didn't just go around breaking off of the British Empire, but America set a trend. This is America's most important commemorative holiday (sorry Thanksgiving), therefore setting it above all other holidays.

Another important factor of a holiday is its mascot and symbolism. Independence Day is usually represented by a Bald Eagle, the mascot of freedom and patriotism. However, George Washington and Thomas Jefferson are also often used as mascots, especially in advertisements. Seeing as the two of them were actual people who were there on the day we're celebrating, it makes sense, even if it is a little strange to see them driving cars and selling fireworks. The Fourth of July is also represented by the symbols of patriotism: our nation's colors, the flag, and of course, stars. When you see these, you know what holiday it is, making the branding of this holiday effortless and fun.

Still not convinced?

Well, what about the celebrations and traditions of the Fourth of July? Celebration and tradition are the backbone of any holiday, and on the 4th, they really shine. Towns and cities all across the country hold carnivals and street fairs, selling July goodies. People dress in red, white and blue, or they wear actual flags on their bodies as they paint the town. Celebrities come together to throw the Made in America festival, featuring music's biggest stars all in one place. But the biggest and best tradition of all? The fireworks. They're loud, bright and big - the values that America truly embraces. But really, they're more than that. Remember a July 4th from years past. You're sitting with your friends in the dark and starry summer night, when all of a sudden, the sky lights up in colorful and patterned flames. Fireworks make us feel a yearning, but also a strange hope you can't find many other places. Sure, you feel a little nostalgic, because this means your summer is almost over, but the butterflies of happiness more than make up for it.

And if all of that doesn't make you think that Independence Day is the best holiday around, I have to ask you... What about the food? Yes, the food. All great holidays have an iconic menu, passed and perfected from generation to generation. Now, Thanksgiving has turkey and a bunch of Christian holidays celebrate with a ham, but the Fourth? All-american delights. Grills across the nation are prepped and primed for hot dogs and hamburgers galore. French fries? If it can be fried, its American enough for this holiday, despite their out-of-country origins. And you can't forget the dessert! There's all kinds of goodies, like rocket pops and red, white and blue cakes and cookies, but the most important one of all? Apple pie. What's more American than a good, old-fashioned apple pie?

Honestly, if you can think of a better holiday, let me know, because for me, this one takes the cake. Well, actually the pie.