6 Financial Tips To Help Save Up For Spring Break

Instead of dipping into your savings, here are some tips on having enough money for Spring Break.

75

In two short months, the cold air will disappear and spring will finally appear with sunny weather and blooming flowers. Spring break may seem like forever to wait for, but it will be here sooner than you think.

As a broke college student one should prepare to have a hassle-free vacation. No one wants to be bored at home when there is the option of traveling and creating memories with your friends. Here are some tips on earning and saving money before the Spring Break deadline.

Earning Money:

Apply for a part-time job

Finding a job can be pretty easy on-campus at the start of a new semester. With many of the on-campus shops and food services in need of new employees, you could likely find a job within a week after applying. I would suggest applying for a position on campus since the managers are more accommodating with students and their class schedule. You can work a short three-hour shift in between classes and work at least one shift a week.

Get a side hustle

This can be easier than you think. if you have a hobby, such as knitting, graphic design or calligraphy, you can easily earn money on Etsy. Or you can be the next Sophia Amoruso and flip the prices of vintage clothing by selling them on either Etsy or Poshmark. Selling clothes online can be a long wait for those who need money fast. The next best option is to sell them at your local consignment store. If those are not appealing to you then there is a chance that you can use almost any skill that you have to earn a bit of pocket money. From taking photos to being a Lyft driver, there are endless possibilities to earn money.

Saving Money:

Skip the Starbucks drinks

Having an expensive $5 espresso drink almost every day can add up to around $160 a month. That can be better spent renting a room on Airbnb room for a few days. Cutting caffeine from your daily routine can be difficult, so instead go for the Pod Shop’s coffee or a cheaper option at the Golden Roast coffee shop.

Eat in instead of going out

Instead of going out with your friends (or date) to your favorite restaurant downtown, opt for cooking together. Everyone can pitch in and it is much cheaper than paying $12+ each for an entree. This option can also be time-saving if there are any leftovers. You can cook a meal that can last for the next couple of days. There are plenty of options on Pinterest to help get you started.

Shop vintage

For those who are shopaholics, going cold turkey on shopping at your local mall can be difficult. Instead, you can switch it up by shopping at your local thrift shops. Almost everything is more than 50 percent off in thrift stores. Don' worry, most of the clothing at these thrift stores are not completely vintage clothing from decades ago. Plato’s Closet and your local Goodwill have plenty of up to date clothing that keeps up with the trends.

Leave the card at home

Spending money becomes way easier when you don't actually see the cash when you are swiping the card. You don’t realize how much money is actually coming out of your pocket until your monthly statement is out. Setting up a weekly allowance for yourself in cash can help you utilize your spending.