Money or Passion?

Money or Passion?

Look at what kind of life and career you are pursuing or in right now. Are you doing it for the money? Or is it for passion? Is money everything? Or can there be another way of passion AND money?

319
Money or Passion?

At one point of everyone's life, we've had a moment where we questioned who we are, who we want to be in our lives, why we want to be who we are, and what we are doing with our lives. We feel this way whether we are approaching college, in college, or even when we get out of college and start to settle in the "real world." The length of time in which you feel this way varies in each individual, and most certainly, the outcome of this feeling varies in everyone's lives. We start to question whether what we want to do is because we are being told it's a good path to follow due to the demand and the money it will bring us or if it is because we actually have a passion for it. Some people may think, "Who cares if it is for passion or not? You're going to be rich and happy. You will have the American Dream."

Money is a powerful idea and thing; it has the ability to make dreams come true for some people, yet at the same time, it takes other people's dreams away. It can make some people happy, yet some other people miserable. Yet, people still argue that money is the key to happiness. Money is all. This idea is what leads people down to a path that do not best suit them, whether it is because it is something they are not interested in or they cannot see themselves doing such a thing for the rest of their life. Many may say, well they will be set following this track considering the fact that they will have more than enough money to themselves. I guess that's right, but let's look at this person's life while he/she is sitting in their death bed. What can this person say they did with their lives that they are proud of themselves for? That they enjoyed and did not regret? And when they realize that they did not do anything that they actually wanted to do because of their own passion and reasons, there is no time. Time is the most valuable thing in your life because once you waste it, you can't get that time back. Money is something you can always work on and get back. But time?

So to those who are asking them the question, money or passion? Think of this..

1. When you follow passion, you are more passionate about the work that you do.

You know how it feels to wake up on an early morning, feeling groggy because you have a list of things to do at school/work. It only gets worse as you think that these things that you have to do are so unnecessary, something that is irrelevant and that you do not want to do. But if you follow your passion, work for an area that you are passionate about, you’ll see that it isn’t that bad. You are not forced to do something because of money. And from this, you will be able to really enjoy what you do. Maybe you will feel like you’re not even working. You’re just following a passion.

2. If you choose money over passion, remember that money cannot even help you fight the feeling of doing something you despise.

What is the point in getting all this money when you cannot even enjoy your life? Are you really that satisfied with just the money? How do you feel using that money that you're getting from all the stress that you put up for, just for something that you do for money? Is it really that worth it? In the long run, you're only hurting yourself, maybe even put a baggage on your health. Money may bring you temporary happiness, but it definitely won't stop reminding you that you are doing this for monetary reasons and not for your own personal interest.

3. When you follow passion, you don't need to force yourself to do something that you do not want to do.
You will start to see that you follow this cycle of misery from forcing yourself to wake up everyday and go to "work." When you first started, you thought to yourself, "This is it. This is my career." But now, it's just another nuisance that you have to get done because you're forced to. However, if you follow your passion, you will find that you don't have to force yourself. You voluntary want to do it. And that's just one of the best parts of it.

4. When you choose money over passion, you will realize at one point of your life that it was a false motivation to keeping that career.
We've had a lot of false hope and thoughts in our lives before. It's not a good feeling when you realize that all along you've got it wrong. What you thought was true was not true. You think money is the motivation in you approaching this track, but it only gets harder as you keep going forward. You dig yourself deeper into something that you do not want to genuinely want to do. So why set yourself in a trap when you see a way to get out of it?

5. When you follow passion, you're more likely to work more hours. Isn't that more money? Happy money?
Have you ever had that moment where you're doing something that you enjoy, whether it is you're out with your friends and family or you are doing an activity that is your favorite pass time - and you realize that time goes by fast? Well remember overtime at work? It won't seem much like overtime when you genuinely enjoy doing what you want to do. Those hours seem like seconds to you. That's more money - and most importantly, it is money that you've happily made.

6. When you choose money over passion, you will realize that you used all the time in your life doing something that you did not enjoy.
One may want to gather as much money as they can before retirement, but in reality, are you really that happy in saying that you were able to gather that much money while you were in misery? How can you actually enjoy yourself? For the most part, we spend a majority of our lives working. We spend a good portion of our lives working to get closest to the American Dream. We do it to thrive. There isn't much way around that considering that it is part of the working world. But there are two people - those that feel like work is something they have to do and those that feel like work is something that can be enjoyed. At the end of your life, can you tell the people around you, and most importantly yourself, that you worked a happy and fulfilling life because you followed your passion?

And lastly.....

7. When you follow passion, you continue to go over and beyond and what you do without realization. And when you've finally made it, you will be even happier and get a better sense of fulfillment of your life.
Because at the end of the day, you can say you followed your dreams. You followed what you're passionate for. You can say that you lived your life to the fullest. You will feel better than you just achieving a successful career because you will be able to say that you were able to get where you are doing something that you love. Nothing beats being able to be true to yourself because at the end of the day, you are the one that can say that you did it because you want to. And you succeeded because you wanted to. You now have what you want because you went after something you were passionate for.

So if you ever doubt yourself and ask why you are doing what you are doing - remember to always be true to yourself. Only you know what makes you the happiest. So go for that. Find a way to keep fighting for that passion even if others tell you otherwise because when it all comes back around, you will be the one who can say that you did it for passion and you made it more than better. You were the one that put passion and money together.