Monday Night Open Mic In Charleston

Monday Night Open Mic In Charleston

Music and poetry at East Bay Meeting House
146

The coolest thing about living in Charleston is being exposed to so many amazing artistic opportunities. Being an Arts Management major has made me realize and appreciate what art and the experiences it brings can do for a small city like Charleston. It makes it unique and provides an environment you cannot find in another place.

One of the most memorable experiences Charleston has brought me is Monday night music and poetry at East Bay Meeting House. I was first exposed to open mics in High School and I am so glad I was able to find a place like this when I got to College.

Every Monday night, East Bay Meeting house would have an open mic for musicians and poets. What I loved about this experience is that there were always more poets than there were musicians which created an awesome learning experience for me. After singing and playing guitar I was able to sit and listen to a lot of inspiring poets from the local area.

Meeting and listening to musicians was always exciting, but the poets opened me up to something I had never really been exposed to before. Meeting House is a very small space which added to the unique feeling of the environment. I was able to connect in a more personal and intimate way while singing and while listening to other performers.

Returning to the same place each week gave me something to look forward to and be hopeful about. I developed relationships with the other musicians and poets which was very special to me. It is not easy to open up and express such deep thoughts and feelings to a group of strangers, but doing so each week made me realize how important that self-expression really is.

There is so much inspiration in watching people organize their thoughts and display them in such a beautiful way. Sadly, East Bay Meeting House has recently ended their fourteen yearlong open mic. Even though it is no longer running, the open mic is a perfect example of a small artistic opportunity that Charleston can offer.

A small little café opened me up to such an amazing feeling of peace and acceptance and I will always be grateful that it became a part of my College experience.