Mom, Thank You For Being My Forever Friend

A mom is the best friend you never knew you needed until you couldn't live without them.

EmmaS14
EmmaS14
429

Going away to college has taught me so many things. I've seen a lot, learned a lot, and felt a lot, but the hardest pill that I've had to swallow has most definitely been being away from my family, especially being away from you, mom. For those first short eighteen years, you were there through it all, and at the time I didn't think anything of it. In my head, it was your job to be my mom, and mine to be your daughter, and that was it.

Not once did I blink an eye at all of the ridiculous requests that I asked of you, or the not so ridiculous requests you asked of me that I usually didn't do, not to mention the way that you were there for me when things came crashing down. I didn't ask you for any of this, nor did I thank you. It took me moving away to see how much you mean to me, and now I think it's only appropriate to say thank you.

Mom, you are a superhero, but more importantly, you are my superhero.

You never fail to save me from the darkest days. Wonder Woman ain't got nothing on you and your superpowers. You always know just the right words to pull me out of an ugly cry and put a smile on my face — I can never thank you enough for that.

You are my best friend. You are truly, without a doubt, my longest friendship, and you always will be. I hate to break it to you, but you're stuck with me. Through all of the belly laughs and all of the not-so-happy moments, you have stood by my side and reminded me to be graceful, even in the hardest situations. There is something special about always having that one person who you can do anything with and have the best time. I'm lucky enough that I get to have you to fill that place in my life. You are my person, Mom.

Doing life without you these past months has been a challenge, to say the least, but it has also reminded me just how lucky I am to be your daughter. I get to call the strongest most beautiful woman in this big crazy world my momma. You make my happiest days even happier and the sad days a little brighter. You are my sunshine, mom.

I can still remember all of those years ago when you would read the infamous bedtime story, "I'll Love You Forever," and the words couldn't be truer today, but this time it's my turn to say it to you. Mom, I'll love you forever. I'll like you for always. As long as I'm living, my momma you'll be.