3 Things That Happen When Your Mom Becomes Your Best Friend

I have never had someone so supportive in my life. I thank god for her every day.

240
Photo by Jon Flobrant on Unsplash

I have been very lucky to be so close to my mother. I honestly do not know where or who I would be without her. She has molded me into being the kindest, most forgiving version of myself. For those who are as lucky as me, here are 3 things that happen when your mom becomes your best friend.

1. You get to know her as more than your mom.

As I got older, the advice my mom gave me became less cupcakes with sugar on top, rather it is real world things that she has pulled from experience. I have learned so much about my mom that I never knew before. I learned that she loved to dance when she was younger and that she was always embarrassed of her name. I have learned that even my mother, who is the strongest woman I know, has been through her own share of heartbreak and tough times. I learned that she loved ACDC and lived her life as much as she could. I always knew my mom was strong, but I never knew that she was as strong as she is, not until I got to know her as more than my mom. She became the only person I look up to and aspire to be.

2. I am allowed to be more honest with her now.

I tell my mom everything. I always have, but now as I'm older and an adult, I'm allowed to be open and honest with her about everything. She values what I say and my opinions as she sees me as an adult. She lets me make my own choices and mistakes, but will never tell me where I am wrong. It's a relationship I'm still learning. I'm used to her lecturing me when I've made a mistake. Now, she just tells me I'm an adult who can make her own decisions. I never knew my mother could let me have the power I have now. I am off to another country over spring break and to another state over the summer. I really do choose the path I want to take and never have to wonder if she will support me. She is always right there with me. I have never had someone so supportive in my life. I thank god for her everyday.

3. She's more honest with you now.

Just as honest as I am with her, she is just as honest with me back. That boy she doesn't like, she'll tell you. That advice she gave was not as sugarcoated as you remembered it being. She's real, raw, and honest. She tells you things you never thought you would hear. She tells you stories you never could imagine. I catch myself looking at my mom and think about the life she lead before me and all of my siblings. I look at her and think about all of the things that she's been through. I look back at my 16-year-old self and wonder why I didn't listen. She's more wise than I could ever hope to be. Her honesty might sting, but it's coming from a place of knowledge and experience, and most importantly, love.

I would be lost without her. There is no one I like to make laugh than her and no one I want see happy more. I love you mom. Happy early birthday!

Thank you for making me the woman I am proud to be today.