12 Martin Luther King Jr Quotes That Changed Our Country

9. "Yes, it is love that will save our world and our civilization, love even for enemies."

754
Photo by Jerónimo Bernot on Unsplash

On January 15th of every year, we commemorate a man who believed in the good and fought for it. A man who stood by and behind what he believed in. A man who truly believed he could change the world. A man who had a dream.

I have admired Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. for as long as I can remember. So this Monday the 15th, we celebrate Dr. Martin Luther King Jr’s 89th birthday, and his influence on America, and the world then and now.

I put together a list of Mr. King's most inspiring, moving and motivational quotes. Here they are!!

1. "Intelligence plus character—that is the goal of true education."

Dr. King made this statement, in 1947, in an essay he wrote for the Morehouse College student newspaper, titled “The Purpose of Education”.

2. "Science investigates; religion interprets. Science gives man knowledge, which is power; religion gives man wisdom, which is control. Science deals mainly with facts; religion deals mainly with values. The two are not rivals."

This quote is from Dr. King's sermon "A Tough Mind and A Tender Heart" written in 1959.

3. "The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

This quote is in Dr. King's book, "Strength to Love", written in 1963.

4. “Be a bush if you can't be a tree. If you can't be a highway, just be a trail. If you can't be a sun, be a star. For it isn't by size that you win or fail. Be the best of whatever you are."

This quote is from when Dr. King spoke to students at Barratt Junior High School in Philadelphia in 1967.

5. "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. We are caught in an inescapable network of mutuality, tied in a single garment of destiny. Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly."

This quote comes from"Letter from Birmingham, Alabama Jail’, in 1962.

6. "I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word in reality. This is why right, temporarily defeated, is stronger than evil triumphant."

Dr. King made this statement when he was accepting his Nobel Peace Prize in Norway, in 1964.

7. “The time is always right to do right.”

This quote comes from the Oberlin College Commencement speech that Dr. King made in 1965.

8. “All we say to America is, ‘Be true to what you said on paper.’ If I lived in China or even Russia, or any totalitarian country, maybe I could understand the denial of certain basic First Amendment privileges, because they hadn't committed themselves to that over there. But somewhere I read of the freedom of assembly. Somewhere I read of the freedom of speech. Somewhere I read of the freedom of the press. Somewhere I read that the greatness of America is the right to protest for right.”

This is from the speech "I've Been To The Mountain Top", given in 1968.

This quote is from one of my favorite sermons by Dr. King. It is his “Loving Your Enemies,” sermon that he gave in 1957.

10. "I say to myself that hate is too great a burden to bear. (Yes, That’s right) I have decided to love."

Dr. King said this at the Southern Christian Leadership Conference. The speech was titled "Where Do We Go From Here?".

11. "The end of life is not to be happy. The end of life is not to achieve pleasure and avoid pain. The end of life is to do the will of God, come what may."

This is from Dr. King's sermon “Paul’s Letter to American Christians", given in 1956.

12."Darkness cannot drive out darkness, only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that."

This is my favorite quote from Dr. King. He said this in his book, "Strength to Love", written in 1963.

I hope these quotes inspired or motivated you to treat everyone with love and respect and to never stop fighting for what you believe in and know is right.

What's your dream? Comment below!!