To The Dog I Left For College, I Miss You More And More

If I could take you to college, you know I would.

288
Shachi Deshmukh

To my best friend, my brother, my four-legged companion:

I still remember the day I met you. All your brothers and sisters had been taken, and you were the last one left. You walked across the tile floor, trembling with each step. While I was not expecting to go home with a Maltipoo, I knew you were the one. On the drive home, you sat in my lap, quivering, but you quickly got accustomed to me, mom and dad, and our home.

Ever since then, you’ve brought so much joy into our lives. You make us smile, and sometimes laugh, with the little things you do: You trick us into following you to the kitchen so you get a treat or how you can be in deep sleep but if you hear the pantry door open, you will dart downstairs. You can eat those chicken strips every single day, yet you’re picky about all of your other food. You have the ability to sleep all day like a koala bear, and you get so angry when you’re bothered.

I’m sorry that I wake you up to play or go for a walk when you’re in the middle of a deep slumber. You greet all our guests with such a warm welcome, especially all the kids. Even those who are scared of dogs will leave our house loving you. You get along with humans great, I just wish you didn’t sit with the humans at the dog park.

You also do some things that annoy us — growling for attention when we’re on the phone, begging us for food at dinner time, and chewing our socks up. You go sit in mom’s lap when you’re jealous that she’s spending time with me, and you fight over the passenger seat with me — there have been several times I got booted to the back, thanks to you.

No matter what you do though, your adorable sorry face makes us forgive you right away. You’re good at making us feel bad, like when we take you to the grooming center and when you cling to me like a baby when we’re at the vet. You’re also a smart dog too. You know when it’s bedtime, you chase away the squirrels so they won’t eat our plants, and you bark when you feel like there is abnormal behavior occurring to keep us safe.

Before we knew it, I was packing to move to college. I think you knew I was leaving when you saw all the suitcases out, and when you kept sitting on my luggage. I know you don’t know how long I’ll be gone, and why I am gone. It’s unfair that you don’t know, but I promise I’ll be back soon. I don’t know if you’re having a hard time, but I sure am. I’m sorry you have to go to daycare more often now when all you really want to do is sleep at home.

I see so many dogs on campus, and not one compares to you. I can’t take pictures of you anymore, so I have to look at the old ones on my phone and the ones on my dorm room wall. I miss rubbing your stomach, taking you on walks, and sharing your favorite food of mine with you. Everyone I talk to knows about you, and I share all my stories and pictures of you. What can I say, I’m proud of all the things you do.

If I could take you to college, you know I would. However, I promise once I graduate and get a job, my first paycheck will solely be towards treats and toys for you. I miss you so much Buddy, and I can't wait to see you soon.

Love,

Your Human/Best Friend