5 Common Misconceptions About Feminism And Women's Rights

5 Of The Most Common Misconceptions About Feminism And Women's Rights

Equality is for everyone. We all deserve the same happiness in the end.

89

I don't like to call myself a feminist, but when push comes to shove I am 100% for woman's rights. There are a lot of myths when it comes to feminism. I asked a fellow student his thoughts on it and his response was that feminists are a bunch bra-burning hippies. You can only imagine the look of disgust on my face after that came out of his mouth. So today I am here to bust myths on feminism and explain what it really means.

1. The bra burning did exist, but not in recent years

What sparked this was the 1968 Miss America Pagent. Women marched around outside of this carrying signs reading "No more beauty stands." In the middle of all of this shenanigans, was a trash can in which the women threw girdles, bras, playboy magazines, and dish detergent. Hence the nickname bra burners. Bra-burning may have occurred in rather smaller protests throughout the '70s but it wasn't the main point of what these women were preaching. They wanted equal righters rather than being viewed as "perfect housewife material" This was the start of the women's liberation movement.

2. Women can still be stay-at-home moms and support this movement

Women supporting women should be what this movement is all about. Instead, we have women bashing other women for their life choices. I personally cannot wait to finish school and get a full-time job in my field. I have friends who want to be stay-at-home mothers and I respect that decision 100%. Not everyone has the same path in life and that's okay. Support equality regardless of what you do for a living.

3. We only support misandry

Please, fellas. I like a raunchy movie featuring Joe Manganiello just as much as the next women, and we all have the same dirty jokes, foul mouths, and sexual nature just as men do. Feminist are not men haters. In fact, if men understood what equality is really about, and supported women who protest it, we would probably be less bitchy. I will still gladly cook you a homemade meal if you clean the dishes afterward. Like I said equality.

4. Women shouldn't express their sexuality

If we can support your career of being a stay at home mom, you can support us being a little promiscuous. I for one enjoy dressing a little raunchy at a club. I also support girls who show skin and flaunt it. If you're comfortable enough to show it, go for it. As for men saying a woman shouldn't show skin, you should really mind your business. It's not your body and if you don't like just ignore us and move on.

5. We are only about women rights

This one just kind of speaks for itself. Feminism is all about supporting equal rights and supports the rights of both men and women. If you would look into this more, you would get it. I have many different types of people in my life that I support all the same way. I have trans friends, stay at home mothers, homosexual friends, heterosexual, friends of different races, and I wish them all the same success in life. Equality is for everyone. We all deserve the same happiness in the end.

* * *

This movement has come a long way in the last 51 one years. Women now have the right to vote, equal pay, access to productive rights, yet we still get penalized for being female and still get classic stereotypes. Feminism is the support of all equality for everyone, and the movement still has a long way to go.