The Millie/Jacob Breakup Could Be A Good Thing

Millie Bobby Brown and Jacob Sartorius Just Split, And I'm Not Mad About It

"Sometimes, you have to do what is best for you, even if it hurts."

174

Word just broke on Instagram that "Stranger Things" actress Millie Bobby Brown and "Sweatshirt" singer Jacob Sartorius just broke up after 7 months of dating. In the wake of such news, there are two groups of people: those mourning the loss of their favorite celebrity couple, and those rejoicing that the two have moved on. I fall in the latter category: here's why.

I have been a huge fan of MBB since Episode 1 of "Stranger Things". Not only is she an award-winning actress at just age 14, but is also a great example for young teenage girls everywhere. She dresses with modesty and class, speaks bravely (never brashly) for the things she believes in, and is incredibly optimistic about life. She consistently demonstrates gratitude to the people that have helped her succeed and is honest with her fans. In summary, Millie is a very mature young woman.

While I don't necessarily have anything horribly negative to say about Jacob Sartorius, I'm not sure I could say that he has the same sense of maturity that Millie does.

The catalyst of his career was taking videos of himself lip-singing to music. He has been involved in numerous scandals regarding being inappropriate with female fans. His music is cheesy at best and involves a heavy amount of auto-tuning; a testament to what I see as a lack of authenticity.

When comparing Millie's and Jacob's personalities, careers and lifestyles, it doesn't seem like a great match, especially for a romantic relationship. According to Jacob, he and Millie will continue to be friends. I think that could work out fine, as long as Jacob's lack of maturity does not hold Millie back from continuing to be the example and outstanding person she is.

The MBB/Jacob Sartorious split can be an example for all of us: choose your relationships wisely. Your friendships, your romantic endeavors, any connection you make with another person. It all matters. Sometimes, you have to do what is best for you, even if it hurts.

Regardless of my opinions of either party, I am proud of Millie and Jacob for doing what was best for both of them. They both went about the breakup with a mutual respect for each other, and that alone is an example that everyone going through heartbreak can learn from.