Millennials’ Opinions Matters The Most: A Response

Just because we have different opinions doesn't mean we need agree to disagree.
26

When you think of millennials, you probably think of high school and college-aged kids who are addicted to giving unsolicited opinions on social media. Maybe the term "headache millennial" is what you are looking for. Well this generation has found its voice, as you may have noticed since we have been going off ever since the election. This article in response to a writer who thinks we need to cool it with our input on current events. I happen to think that millennials should not back down, and speak up when we don't like something.

(Disclaimer: I am in no way trying to prove the writer of the article I am responding to wrong, I just want to critique it and share a different side and my ideas on the topic, like the “headache millennial" I am.)

Dear fellow millennial author who coined the term “headache millennials,”

I have to disagree with your statement. I appreciate the fact you want to stop the sigma about how millennials are always being offended by anything they don't agree with. But you lost me when you brought up entitlement. Being able to comment saying I disagree with someone's post doesn't make me entitled. It’s called the right to free speech, and sharing opinions is the core principle of social media.

It’s true that in school, social media, and in the world in general, there will be people who come from different backgrounds than you. Growing up with technology did not cradle us as you are suggesting, it has opened our minds to acceptance and diversity if anything. I’m going to assume that you feel that having liberal ideals and protesting against Donald Trump is pointless. I don’t.

No, we cant change anything in the real world by tweeting and posting that we disagree with the Trump administration’s views on things like immigration or abortion. We aren't in the high ranks of government; right now. We are in school right now, learning the history of our country and how nations interact with each other, past and present. The way America came to be “great” in the first place was because people who were tired of being told what to do from bullies protested. That’s a short version of a U.S. history lessons about events like the American Revolution and the Civil Rights Movement. Standing up for what you believe in (even if its not the mainstream opinion) is what gets things changed, not “agreeing to disagree."

Anyway, I think we can all agree that the right to share opinions is a wonderful thing. I say no one, no matter their age, should feel like their thoughts are wrong or don’t count just because our president doesn't like people who think like us “liberal, headache millennials.”

We are the next generation of presidents, cabinet members, supreme court judges, entrepreneurs, lawyers, doctors, engineers, and so on. The country and the world is going to be in our hands, and we will go forward in acceptance and tolerance for everyone. So when we raise our voices and give you headaches, we are being the real definition of American millennials.