Why Millennials Are So Nostalgic

Why Millennials Are So Nostalgic

America's current young adults are struggling to put the past behind them.

805
Why Millennials Are So Nostalgic
Millennial Underground

In the wake of new shows like Fuller House and games like Pokémon Go, it has become apparent that millennials are very nostalgic towards the 90's. Nostalgia is one of the most common feelings among anyone regardless of age but the children born in the late 80's through 2000 are seemingly taking it to new heights. The newest Blink-182 and Green Day albums have been smash hits, people were voting for a Clinton, and reboots and remakes from the time are being celebrated and begged for to a mind blowing degree.

The main reason for this is because of the prosperous and peaceful Clinton administration. The Cold War was and while there was a plethora of tragedies, like the Oklahoma City for example, they were self-contained events committed by deranged individuals. Then 9/11 happened and changed everything. We then became involved in Wars in Afghanistan and Iraq which continue to be combat zones to this day. A few years later the Great Recession hit. Food on the table and a roof overhead were no longer assured. The killing of Trayvon Martin in 2012 marked the beginning of the end for race relations. Empathy has been replaced with apathy and America is the most divided it has been in 50 years.

Millennials are unique in the fact that they are the last generation to have a childhood before technology took over. Cell phones and computers were around in the 90's and early 2000's but they were rare. The internet was in its youth and was hardly useful for anything greater than sending e-mails. Communication was so limited that face-to-face confrontation was still the most efficient method of contact. Nowadays, children can play and talk with each other over the internet but that was not an option back then. While the modern system is significantly easier, it seems to leave its users with a hollow feeling.

Millennials find themselves in an awkward time in their lives where many of them do not yet have families or careers of their own but they have ascended to the point of young adulthood. The future is less promising now than virtually an other point in recent history. Many people, including President-Elect Donald Trump, feel that the American Dream is dead. This causes Millennials to beckon back to a more innocent time before the wars, recession, and internet took over.