The New Generation

The New Generation

And everything that's wrong with us

4
The New Generation
Erin Volpone

Childhood in one generation and adulthood in another is very eye opening, and I think I'm starting to understand what all the people older than me mean when they compare the newest generation to theirs. They're almost night and day at times, seeing how advanced it's all become versus when I was little is frightening. Even kids just year or so younger than me I feel like I'm on another level, playing in a different game, but no one has the balls to say so.

With how advanced and accessible technology is today and rising, everyone is buying whatever the next best thing that does "this, that, and a back flip". Life is handed to us on a silver platter done with as little work and effort possible. No one is doing things for themselves, constantly relying upon technology, looking to be the next best whoever and leaving a materialistic stigma to how life should be. Who got the most likes on a picture, or followers determining popularity and status. There's no substance anymore, and the divide in generations is apparent.

Yes, millennials are one of the more successful generations for entrepreneurship, taking social media and advertising to new means, many have developed success careers as social media influences: bloggers, youtubers, viners, muses, insta-famous, snapchat, etc. I love a lot of them; they make me laugh, or teach me something, so for that I know they're working hard but only until they get a little more famous.

I realize I am one of the groups that is caught between, born half way through the 90's so I remember the late 90's, and a lucky one with older brothers so I was raised the same. I'm a 90's baby, which are mostly the kids of Generation X, the generation that were raised either with very conservative parents or completely liberal. So they usually raise their own children somewhere in between the two, liberal rules with conservative punishment. They knew kids were tough and raised them to be tougher, and those are most of the kids born in the 90's.

At the same time, I may be old enough to remember, but I'm still young enough to be considered a contributing millennial. I know how it all works, and am just as easily pulled into the lifestyle, this very article you're reading is proof enough. But I believe my generation knows a different kind of work ethic than our siblings. We remember doing everything for ourselves; raised to be independent, and success comes from hard work not good lighting.

This sounds condescending from someone so close in age, but if there's a different attitude attached that I never in wildest dreams would have had toward life. Kids younger than me openly swear and blantly deface one another on media platforms. Everyone feels the need to start unnecessary drama because everyone is always in everyone's business. Nothing is private anymore because someone will always have a camera or posting about it on at least two apps. We've become completely desensitized to so much, but get upset about everything behind the screens.

They are emotionally coddled, never told no or held accountable; so they think they can do whatever they want and when they don't get what they want they explode. On top of that everyone always has a problem, claiming depression or ADD; your mom just said no to going to the mall, you don't need an xanax. You're 13, you don't have trust issues; him sharing his snack with someone else doesn't count as cheating. It devalues it for those who actually have real problems, and only makes your life harder for literally no reason.

Overexposed, oversensitive and taught acting out gets you what you want; that's the future of the world. The ones voting for our leaders, influencing the new generation, advancing us until we're half robot! Just look at what's going on in the US Presidential race, so many thought it would be so funny to vote for Trump because he was so bad. Or only voting for Hillary because she's a feminist, disregarding the fact that she was involved in a very illegal government secrets scandal that she paid off enough people to sweep under the rug. Well congratulations, it's down a racist moron and a conniving snake; America thanks you.

Every generation has its pits and peaks, and the ones before it always have an opinion; but something's got to change. We can't keep pretending like we are all better than the other, tearing one another down if they really are, if they really aren't. Saying you matter above all else is oppressing in turn; stop being a baby and go sit next to that human being who's just like you. If we continue down the path we're going there won't be much to look forward to. klh