Why My Generation Is The Solution To The Mess Yours Made

#HowToConfuseAMillennial

29

Year after year, I find myself listening to speakers lecturing on how technology has taken over, and how our generation no longer knows how to communicate. We are told our generation hides in our phones, behind the screens of our computers, and that our need for face to face interaction has diminished. We are told our generation is lazy, unmotivated, and harmful. We are told our generation brings fear to the ones before us.

I am curious to see where your statistics are found, and how you came to formulate such strong opinions against an entire generation. How widespread are these surveys indicating that our society is plummeting due to the interactions between my generation and technology?

Our elders accuse us of losing our sense of humanity, but in fact they are the same generations creating and feeding us the technology we use. It was not us that invented computers, portable phones, and text messaging. Instead, it was us who were forced to adapt, and learn to work these tools as they were being implanted into our school systems and homes. These devices were forced down our throats as being the next best thing, and the must-have accessory. We were subject to believing we would be unmarketable in the future without owning and understanding these mechanical toys. “You won’t find a job without computer skills” they said, so we bought the computers and phones as you required. We bought your toys to meet the societal standards being changed right before us, but now you blame us.

You see us as a generation of disappointment, but what I see is a misconception.

I see a society where social media is used to make friends around the world, to create opportunities for international travel and education.

I see a society where support groups are formed to raise awareness for cancer, suicide, anti-bullying, and racism. Where the internet is used to support and encourage the victims and survivors of these causes.

I see groups of young professionals writing to empower each other to remember that there is more to life than what society has laid out for us. That there is more to life than a $100k piece of paper degree that your generation demands is a life necessity.

I see a generation working to encourage each other to travel, get outdoors, and experience life in nature.

I see a generation looking for silence and peace in the chaos the generations before us have created through their technology advancements.

I see a generation longing for a life of fulfillment, but watching as the mechanical machines you created take our jobs from underneath our feet.

I see a generation that finds love and joy in the sounds of music from all over the world.

I see a generation focused on personal growth, yoga, and passport stamps.

I see a generation that uses phones to share images of places that some may not have known about otherwise.

I see a generation of innovative thinkers and motivated entrepreneurs taking your generation’s technology and using it to create purpose and careers for those to follow.

You see our generation as a disgrace to what “used to be."

I see my generation as the revolution. The change. The transition from technology and anger to a world of peace and adventure. A world where being different is encouraged, and love is easy to find. A world where working outdoors is success and working in a cube in a silent office building is frowned upon.

I see a generation where hope is strong, and the future is bright.

I see Millennials, and millennials are revolutionary.