14 Influential Poems From 'Milk And Honey'

Do yourself a favor and buy this book.
934

There is a common problem in school systems today that is rarely spoken about in the media. Students are pushed to read literary novels too soon or are given a heaping amount of reading material for the summer. In turn, children learn to associate reading with something they “have to do” not something they want to do. I despise reading so much that I have become a professional skimmer (it is a talent). Don’t get me wrong, I have been influenced and felt connected to books throughout my life. I loved Catcher in the Rye so much that I went out and bought Franny and Zooey. Do you think I finished that? Nope. I was pretty damn close to the end, though. It isn’t like I have spent my entire life glued to the television and never find joy in immersing myself in a book. It’s just that I find myself to be the girl who never finishes anything (books, at least)—I'm basically the evil doctor in Jimmy Neutron. I eventually became banned from buying any reading material because they inevitably turn into dust collectors.

Then, I was introduced to "Milk and Honey." After going through a massive change in my life, a friend of mine suggested I buy the book of poems written by Rupi Kaur. With no questions asked, I found my way clicking "check out" on Amazon within minutes. I am one that expresses emotion in extremes, and the only mechanisms that help me through are writing, drawing and pretty things. Clearly, I have a spending problem—if you haven’t figured that out yet. I like to pride myself on being a self-taught retail therapist. These activities calm my mind and help to make sense of all of the chaos. Reading was NEVER something that felt peaceful for me. Rather, it made me antsy. Then I opened up the first page of Rupi Kaur’s book of wonder and was instantly hooked. Reading through "Milk and Honey" was as if I was reading about myself. Kaur is able to write about her personal experience in such a fantastical manner. Her style is unlike anything I have ever seen before. Almost every page had a drawing, a way in which the author expressed her emotions. As I read, the more I wanted to keep going. I had a new epiphany page after page. I sat in the same spot reading each line of text three times over. If "Milk and Honey" can impact my life, I assure you: it will change yours, too.

Here are a few of my favorite lines from the hurting, the loving, the breaking and the healing.

1.

Do you ever feel that you aren't appreciated enough? Don't worry, you're clearly a work of art, and these fools just cannot understand.

2.

My entire life I grew up learning how to "kill people with kindness." This poem puts my mother's wise words in such an elegant and simple manner. It is much easier to be kind and lead your life with compassion than it is to be cruel. These seven words sum that up perfectly.

3.

I'm someone who is small but makes an entrance. Due to my loud voice, everyone notices when I walk into the room. Now, this isn't a conscious act. I do this without knowing. Commanding attention is a part of my personality. I bet many "innocent" and "tiny" girls like me feel the same.

4.

After going through a few tough times in my life, like everyone in this world does, I grew into a stronger human being. We weren't put on this earth to handle anything we weren't meant to. Kaur exemplifies this in her poem above.

5.

Being someone who tends to react in extremes, I can relate to this wholeheartedly. Notice I said react rather than act. I REALLY don't have a great ability to stop and think.

6.

My whole life I felt it was hard to express myself without offending or bothering others. Then I thought to myself "F**k it, I'm awesome. I'm made this way for a reason." My internal voice has just as much of a potty mouth as I do (honestly, even worse). Kaur does a great job at making readers feel comfortable in their skin. I even made this poem my phone background.

7.

After all of the shitty events that go on in our world, this quote does a great job at making sense of it all. There is always a way and a reason to persevere and keep going.

8.

This is the story of my life. The easy way out is clearly not human nature. Why do we always thirst for the chase?

9.

After living through a few years of college and being on the outskirts of partying and hook-ups, this is something that hits home for me. It isn't that hard to do the right thing, yet, so many struggle with doing so.

10.

We're all made different for a reason. It's vital to appreciate our differences rather than tear them down. We need to stop and value the little things that we otherwise would ignore.

11.

Nothing else matters than love and family. There are many people I have met throughout my life that are primarily focused on money and success. Being wealthy does not make a rich life and monetary means cannot buyout loneliness.

12.

Stop looking for other people to make you whole. Don't look around the corner for someone else. YOU are around the corner. We have to love ourselves first which is something that most of humanity seems to struggle with. We're stuck with ourselves for the rest of our lives, no one else.

13.

Maybe if everyone read this book, we'd have world peace.

14.

After always searching for something "more," I have come to realize that my relationships in life are blooming as a result of who I am. Confidence and self-love are vital to lead a happy and healthy life. Putting too much credit on others can only prove to be detrimental. Something to remember: People keep coming back as a result of the way YOU made them feel.