Milk Could Save Your Life

Milk Could Save Your Life

This delicious beverage contains many unknown health benefits

70
Milk Could Save Your Life
Pintrest

The evening news often grabs our attention when it boasts of breakthroughs for treating cancer and preventing heart disease. It would be wonderful if one of these modern treatments could deliver results as advertised. Although most of these advancements involve cutting-edge technology and procedures, some of the simplest products may prove to be the most effective in solving our medical mysteries. Surprisingly, the jug sitting in the corner of your refrigerator may hold the key to deciphering the challenges of these diseases.

Milk has been a staple in our diet for thousands of years. This product helps strengthen our bones and teeth and refuels our bodies after a long day. Science is now suggesting that milk might be "nature's most perfect food" because it provides more than the commonly known nutritional benefits. New studies have shown that milk and other dairy products can help prevent metabolic syndrome, heart disease, and even cancer. In short, the beverage we merely touted as a healthy source of vitamins, minerals, and protein may actually aid in obtaining optimal human health.

The first health concern that milk may help prevent is metabolic syndrome. Metabolic syndrome is a group of three or more metabolic risk factors, including but not limited to abdominal obesity, insulin resistance, glucose intolerance, high triglyceride levels, and very high blood pressure (American Heart Association, 2011). When three or more of these risk factors are combined, the chances for future cardiovascular problems are greater than any one factor present alone (American Heart Association, 2011).

Milk can help fight two main symptoms of metabolic syndrome, including abdominal obesity and insulin resistance. For many years, nutritionists recommended only low-fat and skim milk in diets to reduce caloric intake, claiming the reduced fat would curb obesity. More recently, however, studies have shown that drinking 2% or even whole milk can reduce the risk of metabolic syndrome and obesity. When the percentage of fat in dairy products is lowered, the human body does not feel as full. As a result, consumers eat and drink more to compensate for the lack of calories. By drinking 2% or whole milk, those calories are replenished in a smaller serving size while meeting the body's demands (Sifferlin, 2013). This helps to prevent abdominal obesity.

Dairy is also known to help with insulin resistance. Milk is insulinotropic, which means that it stimulates the activity of insulin that is used to convert sugar into energy (Pfeuffer, 2007). Some added benefits of milk that treat metabolic syndrome include calcium’s ability to breakdown body fat, which in turn increases weight loss and reduces blood pressure. Also, fermented dairy products and probiotic bacteria decrease the absorption of cholesterol, and the components of lactose, citrate, and proteins improve weight control (Pfeuffer, 2007).

A second major health concern is heart disease caused by diets high in saturated fats. Since the 1950’s, milk has been demonized for its contribution to heart disease. When the government recommended the reduction of saturated fats in diets, cases of cardiovascular problems actually increased. More recently, several studies have concluded that dairy products are not to be blamed for the plethora of heart disease issues facing many people. Saturated fats are now seen as protective against heart disease, especially the fats found in milk (Paddock, 2013).

Dairy foods are rich in fat, but they come loaded with benefits that increase heart health. For example, the calcium, proteins, and fatty acids in milk reduce cholesterol (Hudon & Corneau, n.d.). Blood pressure is controlled and reduced by potassium, magnesium, phosphorus, vitamin D, and milk fatty acids (Hudon & Corneau, n.d.). Milk contains the vitamin K2­­,­­­­­which­helps with the reduction in blood vessel calcification, the buildup of calcium salts, and maintenance of blood vessel integrity (Hudon & Corneau, n.d.). A fatty acid mainly found in dairy products is associated with higher levels of a high density lipoprotein, which is good cholesterol that helps fight heart disease (Hudon & Corneau, n.d.). Studies also show that the short fatty acid chains inhibit the growth of colon cancer cells (Hart, 2013). In short, the saturated fats found in milk that we once thought were causing heart problems may actually be preventing them.

The third and possibly the most devastating health concern facing many Americans, is cancer. Cancer is one of the leading causes of death in our nation, but this risk can be reduced by polyphenols that are found in tea and blended into milk. Polyphenols are the most abundant antioxidants in the diet. Antioxidants prevent cellular damage by binding up free radicals which are atoms with unpaired electrons that are formed when oxygen interacts with certain molecules (Rice University, 1996). They are highly reactive and start a chain reaction like dominos, causing the most damage when they react with DNA or the cell membrane. Antioxidants, the body’s defense system against free radicals, can safely terminate the reaction before vital damage occurs.

As noted, polyphenols are a great source of antioxidants; they are more bioactive in the body and are shown to reduce colon cancer cell growth when diluted in milk complexes (Milk, 2013). Polyphenol use is limited by poor bioavailability and disagreeable taste. When mixed in certain compounds, polyphenols were found to reduce proliferation of colon cancer cells by 80% (Milk, 2013). Certain green teas and black teas have a type of polyphenol that is a very potent inhibitor of cell growth and are potent antioxidants.

The green tea polyphenols have been used for studies because green tea has the most abundant and potent amount of polyphenol present. The polyphenols from this tea plant are encapsulated into casein, a milk protein, which enhances their bioavailability and has been shown to reduce the proliferation of lung cancer cells (Gray, 2014). When polyphenols are placed in milk, consumers will have a convenient way to add antioxidants into their diet.

Dairy is a resource-rich and powerful food substance that provides a quality source of protein, vitamins, minerals, fats, and other essential nutrients. In addition, scientific evidence supports the fact that milk and other dairy products may serve important roles in the prevention of metabolic syndrome, heart disease, and even cancer. The next time you reach into your refrigerator to pour a tall, cold glass of milk, remember that this wholesome and delicious beverage might actually be saving your life!

References

American Heart Association. (2011). About metabolic syndrome. Retrieved from https://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/More/Met...

Gray, N. (2014). Functional dairy: Milk is ‘ideal platform’ for bioactive polyphenol delivery, finds study. Retrieved from http://www.nutraingredients.com/Research/Functiona...

Hart, M. (2013). The other side of saturated fats: health benefits of a fat rich diet. Retrieved from http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/dr-mike-hart/saturate...

Hudon, A. & Corneau, L. (n.d.). Cardiovascular disease and milk products: summary of evidence. Retrieved from http://www.dairynutrition.ca/scientific-evidence/c...

Milk a platform to deliver anti-cancer polyphenols. (2013, December 30). Feedstuffs. 85(53),16.

Paddock, C. (2013). Saturated fat’s role in heart disease is a myth, says heart disease specialist. Retrieved from http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/267834.ph...

Pfeuffer, M. (2007). Milk and the metabolic syndrome. Retrieved from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17300277

Rice University. (1996). Antioxidants and free radicals. Retrieved from http://www.rice.edu/~jenky/sports/antiox.html

Sifferlin, A. (2013). Skim milk is healthier than whole milk, right? Maybe Not. Retrieved from http://healthand.time.com/2013/07/03/skim-milk-is-...