Migraines: What They're Really Like

Sensitivity to light and sound? Living in a constant fog? relentless head pain that just won't go away? Any of this sound familiar? If it does you are most likely a migraine sufferer too. You aren't alone. Tons of people suffer from migraines and most of them get no help from their doctors. They seek out darkness and try to wait it out, but if you're like me waiting it out isn't always possible. Especially if you're a parent.

I have been a migraine sufferer for years now. They got really bad when my son reached a year old. They make everyday tasks almost impossible sometimes. My mood also suffers from them. I get agitated really easy and migraine days are difficult for everyone at my house.

The worst thing about migraines is how long they last. I never have one for just a few hours. They last for DAYS! My longest migraine was over a week and I thought I was going to die. I finally talked myself into going to the urgent care where they administered IV meds to make it go away. I was sent home with a prescription for a week and that was probably the best week of my life.

Suffering from migraines is like having an invisible disease. It presents no outward symptoms so people don't realize just how much people with migraines suffer. I have a son and there is no way I'd be allowed to stay in bed in a dark room all day. Being a mother won't allow it.

I guess you're wondering why I don't take some Excedrin and suck it up. Well, as I've learned in this journey that has spanned years, OTC meds don't always work. I mean they take the edge off but they don't make it go away completely. If I want them to have any effect on me I have to rotate them. Excedrin Migraine, Excedrin Extra Strength, Advil Migraine, Extra Strength Tylenol. You name it, chances are, I've tried it. My latest find was CBD oil. 100mg and it actually seems to be working but for how long I can't say.

Next question, Why haven't you been to a doctor for meds? My doctor is the worst. He would rather have me see a specialist. Well, the specialist needs a referral and trying to get a referral from him is exhausting. Time for a new doctor, right?

If you have friends or family that suffer from migraines be kind to them. They are not ok. A lot of times we suffer in silence and deal with the pain of migraines. The sun or light is too bright. Every noise is murder to the ears. It's like having a hangover times 10. Even my eyes are sensitive. I'd rather cloak my house in darkness and live like a vampire until it passes.

If you suffer from migraines you are not alone. I know exactly how you feel. Stay strong and remember to take care of yourself no matter what anyone thinks. Just because they can't see the physical symptoms doesn't mean that they aren't there. And just a tip, the sooner you take meds for a migraine the greater your chances of getting it to go away sooner. My next article will contain a few tips on how to deal with migraines.