17 Times Lin Manuel Miranda Lyrics Aced Your Midterm Feels

"How do you write like tomorrow won't arrive? / How do you write like you need it to survive?"

216
Timeout

Welp, that time is upon us: midterm season. Far less anticipated than swimsuit season (which, almost universally, is already not very highly anticipated), professors seem to be able to team up with one another to make the lives of students hellish. From papers to exams to projects, it all manages to hit the fan at once. But that's what we're going into debt for, right? Late for the bandwagon as I always am, I've started listening to "Hamilton" almost on repeat for the past two weeks, and I couldn't help but feel how applicable the lyrics were to my life, more specifically, midterms. And I have a feeling some of these lyrics may resonate with you as well. All lyrics graciously provided by Genius.

1. "My Shot"

[HAMILTON]
I am not throwing away my shot!
I am not throwing away my shot!
Hey you, I'm just like my country
I'm young, scrappy and hungry

And I'm not throwing away my shot!

You start off going into midterms in a state of optimism. They will not get the best of you. This set of midterms will not turn out like every other previous one. You hunger for success and have an actual plan of attack. You're even using that planner that you bought at Target for $15. And it's color-coded. You've got this.

2. "Right Hand Man"

[WASHINGTON]
We are outgunned
Outmanned
Outnumbered
Outplanned

When you realize that in two weeks' time you have two midterms, three exams, two papers, one group project, no money and no motivation. But it's okay. You've still got this! (HOPEFULLY!)

3. "That Would Be Enough"

[ELIZA]
Look around, look around at how lucky we are
To be alive right now
Look around, look around...

Because there's always that one perpetually optimistic person who won't shut up. And not the rub-off-on-you kind of optimism, the face-in-need-of-a-fist kind.

4. "Dear Theodosia"

[BURR]
We'll bleed and fight for you, we'll make it right for you
If we lay a strong enough foundation
We'll pass it on to you, we'll give the world to you
And you'll blow us all away...
Someday, someday.
Yeah, you'll blow us all away.

This one is for all those upperclassmen who are actually part-time moms and dads to younger students. When they help them pick up actually useful study habits (or are a much-needed shoulder to cry on from so much studying). And, to those youngins, you'll always be a proud mom or dad. (Plus, at least SOMEONE's succeeding, right?)

5. "Hurricane"

[HAMILTON]
In the eye of a hurricane
There is quiet
For just a moment

I mean, midterms isn't a hurricane, but it's definitely a major shit storm. And campus is eerily quiet because everyone is locked up hitting the books.

6. "Non-Stop"

[FULL COMPANY]
How do you write like tomorrow won't arrive?

How do you write like you need it to survive?
How do you write ev'ry second you're alive?
Ev'ry second you're alive? Ev'ry second you're alive?

Those two papers aren't going to write themselves. Also, that group project isn't going to be completed if you don't do it all yourself...

7. "Take a Break"

[ELIZA]
Take a break

[HAMILTON]
I am on my way

[ELIZA]
There's a little surprise before supper
And it cannot wait

[HAMILTON]
I'll be there in just a minute, save my plate

Let's face it. You definitely neglect some things while focusing on schoolwork for midterms. Working out? Maintaining a healthy diet? Basic hygiene? Eight hours of sleep? Haven't heard those names in years.

8. "Say No To This"

[HAMILTON]
That's when I began to pray:
Lord, show me how to
Say no to this
I don't know how to
Say no to this

But, still, your friends try to get you to go outside. The first time, you say no. The second, it's a maybe. The third and you're corrupted. I mean, it is a Saturday. Though, as always, "just pizza" turns into the inevitable attendance of a frat party.

9. "The Schuyler Sisters"

[BURR]
But your perfume smells like your daddy's got money
Why you slummin' in the city in your fancy heels
You searchin for an urchin who can give you ideals?

[ANGELICA]
Burr, you disgust me

[BURR]
Ah, so you've discussed me
I'm a trust fund, baby, you can trust me!

Damn, why did you agree to go a frat party? Whyyyyyyy? And, yes, were Aaron Burr alive today we all know that he would most definitely be a frat boy.

10. "Satisfied"

[ANGELICA]
I remember that night, I just might
Regret that night for the rest of my days

It's a Sunday. You were going to get up at 9:00 a.m. and have a productive day. You were going to have a nice, relaxing night in the night before. Instead, you had a little too much key lime La Croix and vodka. And now it's 1:30 in the afternoon. You lament your decisions from last night, but also don't get out of bed for another hour.

11. " It's Quiet Uptown"

[COMPANY (EXCEPT HAMILTON AND ELIZA)]
If you see him in the street, walking by her

Side, talking by her side, have pity
They are going through the unimaginable

It's 9:30 on Sunday night. Last week, you got one midterm and paper out of the way. Your next is tomorrow at 8:45 a.m. Understandably, you go on an existential walk, going over every decision in life that brought you to this point.

12. "Burn"

[ELIZA]
You and your words flooded my senses
Your sentences left me defenseless
You built me palaces out of paragraphs
You built cathedrals

The second paper, the last one, is DONE. You reread it, pretending to be your T.A. absolutely blown away by this beautiful work of art.

13. "Burn" (Again)

[ELIZA]
You and your words, obsessed with your legacy...
Your sentences border on senseless
And you are paranoid in every paragraph
How they perceive you

Then, your T.A. actually reads your paper.

14. "Stay Alive"

[WASHINGTON]
Stay alive 'til this horror show is past
We're gonna fly a lot of flags half-mast

It's Wednesday morning. After today, you only have one exam (on Friday of course). So literally it's just two days left until a week of freedom. You tell yourself you can do this. YOU CAN DO THIS. SO CLOSE.

15. "Stay Alive" (Reprise)

[PHILIP]
Pa
I did exactly as you said, Pa
I held my head up high

[HAMILTON]
I know, I know. Shh
I know, I know
Shh. I know you did
Ev'rything just right

Shh

I know, I know
I know, I know
I know
Save your strength and
Stay alive...

[ELIZA]
Is he breathing? Is he going to survive this?
Who did this, Alexander, did you know?

You thought you could do this, literally just twelve hours ago. But, alas. You call your parents crying because MIDTERMS IS ACTUALLY ONE OF THE CIRCLES OF HELL.

16. "Yorktown"

[HAMILTON]
Tens of thousands of people flood the streets
There are screams and church bells ringing
And as our fallen foes retreat
I hear the drinking song they're singing...

[ALL MEN]
The world turned upside down

[FULL COMPANY]
The world turned upside down

You walk out of your last final. It is Friday. You can go home. You can sleep. For a week, you can drink coffee for enjoyment as opposed to outside of necessity. In the streets, students wander about wondering what to do now.

17. "The Story of Tonight"

[HAMILTON]
Let's have another round tonight

[LAURENS]
Raise a glass to freedom
Something they can never take away
No matter what they tell you
Raise a glass to the four of us

You've made it. Time to celebrate. We're all soooo proud of you. Now, time for a revolution?