Political Compromise After The 2018 Midterm Elections
Elections

Hope Of Political Compromise After The 2018 Midterm Elections

A prediction on the future of American politics.

84

The midterm elections were last week, on November 6, 2018. The day came and went very quickly and was yet another pivotal moment in American history to see if Republicans would maintain control of the House and Senate or if the Democrats would take the majority of one or two houses. In this case, Democrats were only able to control the House. As a Democrat before election day, I was filled with hope that Democrats would win back both chambers. I was set back when the Democrats only won a single chamber and did not know what to think of the election results until the following day.

I am proud of how many strong women took leadership by running for office in their congressional districts, and congratulate the women who won as well. I am proud of the Democrats who maintained running campaigns this year, and volunteers who canvassed and phone-banked to promote a Democratic perspective.

In the midst of a cultural climate that lashes out against one another, with or without reason, I perceive the elections results as a compromise in a positive direction. I hope each majority party of each House of Congress will be forced to work together and possibly end this terrible cultural climate that has deeply impacted my life over the past two years and my other teenage peers as well. I'm worn down and have never been more tired of the way the world is. Not remembering a time where people weren't hostile or hateful towards each other, the election results are a small step of positive reassurance, currently, what we can work towards, and a positive future that Americans can imagine for themselves.

I don't want to perceive the election results as negative or disappointing, but instead be grateful for the hard work Democrats have done to win back the House. This election wasn't just about winning, but getting our humanity and respect back in the process.

However, with the resignation of Jeff Sessions, the Muller Investigation could stop under Trump's power or new Attorney General. If the investigation were to stop, this would prove Donald Trump would be certainty guilty of something. If Trump wasn't guilty, he would let an investigation go on. This ties into the election of which party you are supporting. Shutting down a government investigation shows partisanship and an authoritative dictatorship, which America is not. America deserves to know why Jeff Sessions has been fired. Also, the Republican Party can not afford to look stupid with the loss of one House of Congress.

Finally, I can't wait to see where we are next week, next month, or next year. I hope this is one step towards ending the screaming and shouting soon, but I guess I will have to let history run its course. Until all of this is over, I hope we remember what it was about.