Going into Midterms: What Should be Addressed in the Election

The election for the House and Senate matters more than the Presidency.

17

Two weeks from today, the United States of America will have the 2018 Midterm Elections, where all 435 of the seats in both the House of Representatives and the Senate are on the line. And since Trump's infamous election two years ago, the tension between both political parties and the increasing number of independent parties has come to a head and has led to constant disapproval by the general public regarding the majority of Democrats and Republicans. Even as Trump's presidency is quickly crumbling by the second, as a result of his followers now seeing his true colors both directly and indirectly, legions of Americans across the nation have been pushing like never before to have their voices heard by the government.

Anyone who's anybody that is 18 years old and over knows this: you need to get out and vote! If you haven't registered, it's your loss. I don't necessarily mean that there are dire consequences for not offering your input on the government, but what you say can both help and hinder your lives within the country. Now, I know there are college students who don't understand what I just said. But, let that sink in for a second. Elections are just as important as your Netflix watchlist and sports games.

One primary reason why the midterm elections are crucial for the country this time around is that we're voting on issues that were either unheard of, or swept under the rug in the past. At certain times, quite a few of these issues were close to being resolved with a bill passed through Congress, but it fell through thanks to varying circumstances. In fact, I would say that these issues are even more of a focal point for the midterms, rather than the Presidency. Not to mention, a small election like this, regardless of which political party holds dominance in both houses of Congress, will have a significant albeit invisible effect on the 2020 Presidential Election.

What are we voting for? We want to change on college tuition because we're paying thousands to earn degrees that won't always land us jobs with a salary that will let us live well; that ties into student debt relief, because the government's not doing enough to help students who haven't completely reimbursed their alma maters. Another one off the top of my head is immigrant rights, such as protecting the Dreamers from the ICE, and keeping families together, especially those living on the Mexican border. Many of us also want laws on paid family leave, as other countries have implemented this, with flourishing results for both parents and children. The most important, and the most controversial issue we want to change on is equal pay for equal work. Need I say more?

Now while we want something done about these issues, all the candidates vying for a seat in the midterms are going about it different ways. However, some of them will do so because they're doing it to further their agenda. On the other hand, everyone else running is tired of the broken promises the government is giving us and has seen voter satisfaction plummet with valid reasons.

So far, everything about the midterm polls can be seen here, although the bias towards the two main political parties is difficult to ignore. Unlike the Presidency, the midterms are the election that allows us to gauge a politician's performance in Congress before they take the highest office in America. This is our opportunity to get our country out of the hole it's in, as I've previously spoken about here, so take advantage of it.