Mid-Winter Blues Are A Reality Almost Anywhere, Even Where It's Warm
Weather

Mid-Winter Blues Are A Reality Almost Anywhere, Even In Alabama

Is it summer yet?

57
Lauren Sexton

It's true, I didn't think it could happen without the never-ending gray skies and bitterly cold temperatures I've endured my entire life. This year would be different. This year I would be in the south. Well, as hard as it is to believe, 60 degrees is cold to me now. That's right, at home in Michigan, 60 degrees means shorts and a T-shirt. Here in Tuscaloosa, 60 degrees means a sweatshirt and leggings, and quite often, a raincoat.

Don't get me wrong, it is still much better than 30 degrees and sleet like at home, but should I have applied to schools in Hawaii?

First semester was great with parties, football games, sunshine and warm weather. Second semester is darker, colder, and no football. I enjoy basketball games, but there is something to be said about being in Bryant Denny Stadium singing "Dixieland Delight" with 100,000 of your closest friends. It seems like everyone is ready for the school year to be over.

First semester is great because you are ready to be back at school, living on your own, enjoying your freedom and hanging out with friends you haven't seen in a few months. And there is that sweet little fall break in there before Thanksgiving and Christmas breaks. Second semester feels longer. The weather isn't as nice so there's not as much to do outside. Springbreak is nine weeks away from the start of the semester, and it's only a week long.

On top of that, coursework looms over your head while you're on break.

Life is good. There's no doubt about that, but I didn't foresee the winter blues while attending the Crimson Tide. Looking at the AccuWeather forecast, the weather in March after spring break appears to warm up considerably. Temperatures in the mid to high 70s and the low 80s sounds good. And then there is April to look forward to and the outdoor pool opening up again. Until then, I'll be content to battle the midwinter blues that creep in on "cold" rainy days here in Alabama by cuddling up in my coziest blanket and binge-watching Netflix, that is when I'm not doing homework, studying, doing laundry, working, hanging with my roommate, sorority sisters, or friends, etc. And it could be much worse.

In Michigan, average temps don't reach the 50s and 60s until mid to late April, and even then that isn't a typical occurrence. A random snowstorm isn't unheard of in April up there. And looking at the current temps in Hawaii, it's in the 70s. Would that seem too cold for me if I lived there? Next year, I will be better prepared for second semester and the potential for midwinter blues. I predict a warm tropical spring break for me next year. At least I hope so. Until then, pass me the remote and put another blanket on me.