10 Thoughts Of A College Student Who Never Gets A Snow Day, On A Snow Day
Weather

Nothing is more exciting than having classes canceled... unless all you have to do is homework.

82

On Feb. 3, Bellingham and the WWU campus saw its first snowfall for the year. The minute it started to powder down, I heard buzzing from excited students at the possibility of a snow day.

1. Oh my God, is it sticking? It better stick.

There's nothing better than watching as the ground turns white. It makes you want to snuggle up with a cup of your favorite warm beverage and watching as the campus turns into a winter wonderland.

2. Do you mean to tell me I have to walk to VC like this?

No matter the number of layers, 20 degrees is 20 degrees. This particular bout of cold is coming from up north, which means everything is colder than usual. 20 degrees feels more like nine degrees and the walk to the commons seems like an hour rather than five minutes.

3. Classes before 10 a.m. are canceled? What about the ones that START at 10 a.m.?!

4. Oh hell yes, all classes canceled!

We all got that exciting text from the college announcing that all classes prior to 10 a.m. were canceled, but that left the students that have classes that start at 10 a.m. mad (i.e. myself).

Then, that next morning, all classes were canceled due to inclement weather and icy roads. If you don't have work, that's a day all to yourself to do nothing but relax, unless…

5. I still have a ton of homework to do.

Once you're in college, you realize that snow days aren't what they used to be. If you're like me, you probably stayed in a caught up on the homework you definitely didn't do over the weekend and therefore it's not really a day off.

6. How am I going to get to work if the roads are all icy?

Just because school is canceled doesn't mean work is. Sure, the city might have taken care of the roads, but what happens when the snow melts and then freezes over again? Driving to and from work could be a slip and slide if you're not careful.

7. Why did they get so much more snow back home? Ours is already melting.

In the lowlands, they got a ton more snow than Bellingham. In the Seattle area, most districts and colleges have closed due to the weather.

8. Sooo…. What about tomorrow?

Even though the snow day isn't over, you want to know if you'll have the day off tomorrow as well. Maybe you're hoping to avoid a test or a presentation — anything. But alas, classes will resume tomorrow and you'll have to go back to learning.

9. Maybe if I wish hard enough, it'll start to snow again.

It's possible, right? It's cold enough, surely, that it could snow again and repeat the whole process. Then you can really relax now that you've taken this snow day to get all your homework done.

10. Well, it was nice while it lasted.

Waking up in the morning to no text isn't what you wanted, but it's what you got. You have to get up and go through the motions again before braving the cold to get to class.

The snow never lasts for long but the few days we do have it are always a nice change of pace — even if snow days aren't building snowmen and sledding anymore.