Mid-Semester Anxiety Crisis

Mid-Semester Anxiety Crisis

I don't think anyone is looking forward to it.
9

Isn't it weird how fast time can move in just a matter of months? Ever since we set the clocks back an hour Saturday night, I've been feeling a little anxious about what's to come in the last two months of my semester. Now it gets darker faster, it's colder out, and for some reason the amount of work that gets assigned during your classes starts becoming overwhelming since midterms are over.

Yep, it's that time of the year again.

This is the point in the semester that I like to call the "mid-semester anxiety crisis" because of how fast everything starts to move. It seems like after you get your midterm grades back, suddenly your professors see that you're fully capable of taking on one, two, and maybe even three really big projects to do until the very end! And that's not even just for one class, suddenly you're getting piled with multiple projects for all your classes and it becomes hard to choose what to prioritize first. Maybe you also have a job as you're in school. Maybe you're working in retail and, because the holiday season is coming up, suddenly you're getting piled with hours to cover the next two holiday sales coming up and you're dreading it. Trust me, I've been in that position before and dealing with rowdy customers is not fun.

It seems like during this time, not everyone knows what to do. It may get overwhelming to the point where you feel like nothing is going to get accomplished. Speaking from personal experience, I can definitely say that these feelings can get really bad. One moment you feel like you're okay and that you'll get through the rest of what this semester has to offer to you, and then the next you feel it all crashing down. It's not very clear as to why I feel this way, but what is clear is how common this can be considering I'm not the only one feeling the affects of the half-way mark in the semester.

So what can we do to get through this crisis?

I honestly have no definite answer on how these feelings can be resolved. The only words of solace I can provide for you in this reflective read is that you need to take a moment to breathe. I know things seem fast paced and as if there's a crushing weight upon you that doesn't seem to falter, but the best thing you can do right now is get through it one by one.

Unfortunately we live in a time with such high demands, whether it's academically or even financially, and a focus on feelings isn't so much there. However, even if things seem bad right now, there's no shame in acknowledging it.

You might be asking yourself at this point after these confusing words of mine, "What's the point? What exactly are you getting at?"

I guess what I'm trying to say is, don't be afraid to seek a helping hand through this unnerving and confusing time. Don't be afraid to admit you might not be okay and that you could use a little help.

All you need to do anyway is take it one step at a time.