10 Reasons You Need To Visit 'Mickey: The True Original' Exhibition Before It's Too Late

Regardless if you're a die-hard Disney fan or not, this is a pop-up you don't want to miss!

119

Mickey Mouse has been an icon that shaped everyone's childhood. Walt Disney created a franchise that would last forever and changed the history of animation. In celebration of Mickey Mouse's 90th birthday, this exhibition was created with the help of dozens of artists. Last weekend with some friends I unleashed my inner kid and had the best time at the exhibit. Now I'm giving you a list of reasons why it's a must-see before it closes on February 10th!

1. Nostalgia

Whether it's before your time or not, I think everyone will love and appreciate this recreation of the 1990's Mickey Mouse Club set. There's a jukebox that plays Mickey's very own anniversary playlist and it's also available on Apple Music. Each room is chock full of old memories and as you make your trip through all of them, they will definitely bring up a feeling of nostalgia.

2. Hidden Mickeys

We all know about the subtle Mickey representations that are inserted into the Disney films and theme parks. In the exhibition itself, there are 22 hidden Mickeys total, and I just gave one away for you guys. It's a fun, competitive game to play with your friends, and a great way to get involved with your surroundings. Good luck with your search and if you're stuck, the staff gives us Mouseketeers helpful hints.

3. Game show

As you end your journey, the last thing you can do before entering the gift shop is participate in Mickey's game show. You're separated into teams and asked trivia questions about Mickey Mouse and his pals: Minnie, Goofy, Daisy, and Donald. This was their special way of demoing the game that you're also able to play at home. You're also given a cute pin at the end, so make sure you go inside!

4. Photo ops

Every pop-up has good photo ops, but "Mickey's True Original" has aesthetic shots everywhere. How could you NOT expect me to reenact the Titanic on the steamboat — I mean, come on, it was the perfect opportunity no matter how cliché. I may have also made a boomerang of me imitating Mickey in Steamboat Willie, sue me.

5. Free ice cream

When you first enter the Mickey Mouse Club, you're offered complimentary tastings of Ample Hills Creamery's Disney Mickey Mouse Collection ice cream flavors. I recommend the Triple Chocolate Surprise because it has Mickey-shaped white chocolate pieces filled with fudge that were to die for!

6. The art

We can't forget the whole purpose and focus of the exhibition — the art! Mickey had a global impact on art and pop culture, and the dozens of contemporary artists that showed off their original work paid homage to that legacy and inspiration. This piece by the Japanese artist Keiichi Tanaami is my favorite from the exhibit, and I advise you to take a closer look at it in person.

7. The history

We learn a lot about the history and evolution of Mickey Mouse throughout the visit, but in the last room, "The Collection," you get to witness it in its entirety. There's Mickey Mouse: watches, sleds, bicycles, bags, toy cars, figurines, dolls, clothing, games, shoes, and so much more. You truly get the sense of how big and influential Mickey was and as Walt Disney said, "I only hope that we never lose sight of one thing — that it was all started by a mouse."

8. Special Saturdays

Every other Saturday Mickey Funko Pops and pin sets are revealed and sold. As the description says, you'll want to come early because supplies are limited! To give you another piece of inside information, if you have a Disney Visa debit card, you can receive four complimentary special-edition commemorative Mickey prints from the store!

9. Customize your own shirt/sweater

No, not this giant t-shirt — although this would be a cool take on the oversized trend! At the end of your visit, you have the option to make your own t-shirt or sweater. The prices vary by size and additions. You get one print free but each patch and additional print costs you extra. What better way to end your trip and remember it than by creating your own unique Mickey attire?

10.  Cosmic Cavern

If all my other suggestions didn't motivate you to buy your tickets ASAP, maybe this last one will. I think I can speak for all the exhibit-goers by saying Cosmic Cavern is by far THE coolest room in the entire exhibition. Don't get me wrong, each room is special to me and Fantasia is close to my heart, but Cosmic Cavern was a trip. With music blasting and neon Mickeys everywhere, I felt like I was in a psychedelic dream.

I fully enjoyed my time there and I know you will as well if you go. It was well worth the money spent and if I could go back 100 times, I would.