The Native American Code of Ethics

The Native American Code of Ethics

Regardless of the origin of the list, most codes of ethics provide a sort of guideline of how to live the best life.

458
The Native American Code of Ethics
CHRIS CORNER

met·a·noi·a

metəˈnoiə/

noun

1. change in one's way of life resulting from penitence or spiritual conversion.

Origin:

Late 19th century: from Greek, from metanoein (change one's mind).

Perhaps it is my age, perhaps it is the experiences I have and continue to live, perhaps it is the influence of those around me; whatever it is, I know I am going through a HUGE inner change.

So many of us go on diets for our physical forms, working on our bodies, making sure we lose our fat, tone our muscles, and improve our stamina. We eat healthy to glow and grow. However, we rarely take a step back to take a good look at the things the mirror cannot catch. Our mental state, our spiritual state, our emotional state -- we let them all flow their way, never really stopping to actually work on them.

On my journey, I have been reading books and articles, and have been surrounding myself with those whom I want to become like: the compassionate among us, the empathetic, the kind, the positive, the ones who create beautiful imprints on this world, the ones who are struggling and trying to make this world a better place. And trust me, each and every person has left a thought in me which has made me question some of my own intentions and feelings.

We're all born to love, yet slowly, as we grow older, we start to feed on the hatred the world has, so much that at times, it's hard to recognize your own self when you step on the break.

I wanted to share one of the pieces that have really shook me.

Have you ever read a code of ethics? Regardless of the origin of the list, most codes of ethics provide a sort of guideline of how to live the best life. Whether it be a religious text, an ancestral list past through every generation, or cultural pact, codes of ethics help define our lives for the best and inspire us to do and become better.

I recently came across the Native American Code of Ethics which was such a wonderful compilation of some of my favorite inspirational quotes. Each of the 21 codes holds a strong lesson behind it. The following codes teach you about life, about yourself, and about those around you. Follow them, and I can almost guarantee a happier, more fulfilling life.

I can only hope the following codes are as fruitful for you as they were for me.

1. Rise with the sun to pray. Pray alone. Pray often.
The Great Spirit will listen, if you only speak.

2. Be tolerant of those who are lost on their path.
Ignorance, conceit, anger, jealousy and greed stem
from a lost soul. Pray that they will find guidance.

3. Search for yourself, by yourself. Do not allow others
to make your path for you. It is your road, and
yours alone. Others may walk it with you,
but no one can walk it for you.

4. Treat the guests in your home with much consideration.
Serve them the best food, give them the best
bed and treat them with respect and honor.

5. Do not take what is not yours whether from
a person, a community,the wilderness or from a
culture. It was not earned nor given. It is not yours.

6. Respect all things that are placed upon
this earth – whether it be people or plant.

7. Honor other people’s thoughts, wishes and words.
Never interrupt another or mock or rudely mimic them.
Allow each person the right to personal expression.

8. Never speak of others in a bad way. The negative
energy that you put out into the universe
will multiply when it returns to you.

9. All persons make mistakes.
And all mistakes can be forgiven.

10. Bad thoughts cause illness of the mind,
body and spirit. Practice optimism.

11. Nature is not FOR us, it is a PART of us.
They are part of your worldly family.

12. Children are the seeds of our future. Plant
love in their hearts and water them with
wisdom and life’s lessons.
When they
are grown, give them space to grow.

13. Avoid hurting the hearts of others.

14. The poison of your pain will return to you.

15. Be truthful at all times. Honesty is the
test of one’s will within this universe.

16. Keep yourself balanced. Your Mental self, Spiritual
self, Emotional self, and Physical self – all need
to be strong, pure and healthy. Work out
the body to strengthen the mind. Grow
rich in spirit to cure emotional ails.

17. Make conscious decisions as to who
you will be and how you will react. Be
responsible for your own actions.

18. Respect the privacy and personal space of
others. Do not touch the personal property of
others – especially sacred and religious
objects. This is forbidden.

19. Be true to yourself first. You cannot
nurture and help others if you cannot
nurture and help yourself first.

20. Respect others religious beliefs.
Do not force your belief on others.

21. Share your good fortune with others.
Participate in charity.

Try following one at a time. Try step by step, it can't be easy to follow all of the following, and even any of the following immediately, but maybe try by writing them down, and really thinking of the meaning of each in your life. Really think about how each code can change your life and how you can start applying it in your life as well.